Associate Director, Operations Communications
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Associate Director, Operations Communications leads communications strategies and initiatives for AbbVie’s Operations function that drive understanding and appreciation among internal stakeholders of Operations’ strategy and role in AbbVie’s innovation and aligns them to how Operations drives business performance, resulting in increased employee engagement, positive workplace culture, and remarkable impact on patient’s lives. The role also works in conjunction with the AbbVie corporate communications team to protect and enhance AbbVie’s reputation by mitigating risks and ensuring positive external stakeholder engagements and perception, including contributions from Operations for media coverage, speaking opportunities and external awareness efforts.
At AbbVie, Operations includes a team of scientific, manufacturing, engineering, quality, and supply chain professionals responsible for supply and distribution of all AbbVie products, as well as several corporate services, including facilities, purchasing and security. Operations is also an integral component of the company’s crisis management team, responsible for the company’s cross-functional preparedness and response to ongoing issues.
Reports To: Director, Operations Communications
Primary Job Function:
- Responsible for delivering best-in-class global communications practices that advance Operations’ ability to build and sustain its business narrative and role in AbbVie’s innovation and performance.
- Engage and influence internal and external target audiences through compelling, best-in-class communications outreach, programs, and initiatives.
- Serve as strategic communications advisor for multiple Operations leaders and their functional teams
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop proprietary content that would appeal to wide variety of audiences.
- Drive the operationalization of change management strategy throughout the organization
- Develop engagement strategy, create materials and track key performance indicators for effective communication.
- Partner with leaders and other stakeholders to proactively identify high impact internal and external communication opportunities to enhance awareness and understanding of Operations; build targeted strategies and execute related programs and initiatives.
- Anticipate issues and trends that generate employee and/or media interest, develop messaging contingency plans in collaboration with company leadership and division peers to ensure a strong global process to identify, prioritize, manage, leverage or minimize issues through cross-functional planning, preparedness and rapid response protocol.
- Review and monitor various quantitative and qualitative metrics to measure impact of communications and issues to our function, industry, and company.
- Identify external media and social media opportunities related to Operations leaders and key U.S. and global milestones, coordinated within Corporate Communications, Brand Communications, Social and Digital Communications.
- Create key internal communications, such as executive communications, function-specific and/or site-specific content, internal presentations and materials that support initiatives related to product quality, global security, environmental social and governance, technology, awards programs and equity, equality, diversity, and inclusion (EED&I).
- Serve as a point of connection to site-level communications colleagues, share best practices and lessons learned
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, business, journalism or equivalent
- 8+ years of experience in communications; previous service in a spokesperson capacity with media and other external stakeholders preferred
- Healthcare/pharmaceutical, executive thought leadership experience a plus
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including a track record of productive collaborations with senior-level leaders
- Ability to manage competing priorities simultaneously
- Experience working within a matrix environment, appropriately collaborating to achieve consensus across a variety of cross-functional peers and senior leaders
- Proficient in designing effective presentations, troubleshoot presentation issues and assist and train presenters
- Cross-functional project management with minimal supervision and strong research skills
- Strong business acumen with the ability to anticipate company, industry, and team needs; Operations / manufacturing experience a plus
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.