Equipment Engineer IV, Drug Delivery & Biomaterials
At Allergan Aesthetics, an AbbVie company, we develop, manufacture, and market a portfolio of leading aesthetics brands and products. Our aesthetics portfolio includes facial injectables, body contouring, plastics, skin care, and more. Our goal is to consistently provide our customers with innovation, education, exceptional service, and a commitment to excellence, all with a personal touch. For more information, visit www.AllerganAesthetics.com.
The Engineer IV develops and scales up manufacturing equipment for biomaterials-based products for use in next generation medical aesthetics and implant products via equipment selection, design and operation to ensure a robust production process.
1. Under general direction, responsible for implementing equipment engineering projects.
2. Actively works in a team environment. Frequent communication is essential and must interface with colleagues in Biomaterials Development, Analytical Services, Product Development, Commercial and Cell & Tissue areas. Will remain as “internal consultant” as technology moves into commercial manufacturing.
3. Responsible for choosing potential suppliers, qualifying incoming equipment, selecting and installing process analytical technologies, drafting of user requirement specifications and SOPs.
4. Communicates project status to supervisor, project team leader, other research managers, and R&D committees as appropriate.
5. Reviews and evaluates current technical and trade literature to maintain and extend technical competence.
7. Writes, reviews and issues technical reports, technical memoranda and other documents for internal and external distribution.
8. Assess subordinate employee training needs and conduct or recommend training as necessary.
- B.S, M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or related field. A minimum of 7+ (B.S), 4+ (M.S) or 0+ (Ph.D.) years industrial or post-graduate experience is a must.
- Experience with equipment scale up from bench to pilot scale for clinical trials.
- Experience with installation, commissioning and maintaining of production equipment developing SOPs, training technicians, refining equipment design, and providing ongoing support.
- Complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers or technical peer groups.
- Experience with CAD software.
- Knowledge and working experience on implantable biomaterials, hydrogels are a plus.
- Ability to generate drawing for dimensions, tolerance and interfit investigations, and conformance to ANSI Y14.5.
- Understanding of the manufacturing scale up of equipment from bench to pilot scale as it relates to medical devices.
- Understanding and hands-on experience with large scale automated tangential flow filtration equipment under GMP conditions for the purification of polymer solutions.
- Understanding and hands-on experience with large scale automated filling of syringes/vials under ISO5 conditions.
- Experience with selecting and operating process analytical technologies.
- Understanding and hands-on experience with aseptic manufacture including sterile filtration of injectables.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.