Senior Director, Health Economics Head
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Senior Director, Health Economics Head is responsible for providing strategic and scientific leadership internally & externally across all therapeutic areas for development of meta-research (eg, systematic literature reviews, meta-analytic comparative analyses) and health economic modeling to support overall brand value proposition and optimize commercial launches & reimbursement submissions. In addition, the Head will direct and manage the resources of the economic modeling team & meta-research team, while providing scientific leadership in development of robust evidence generation and communication strategies to inform internal asset development strategy, integrated evidence plans, HTA and value assessment strategies, and patient access decision-making.
This role will design and drive development of cutting-edge health economic modeling and meta-analytic research capabilities to inform internal & external decision-making and optimize access and reimbursement.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic and scientific leadership for global coordination of health economics research (eg, modeling & meta-research) to support the overall value proposition
- Drive adoption of new applications for health economics to inform internal pricing and trial design strategy, and value proposition development
- Ensure the scientific quality and integrity of health economics research through senior review and approval of deliverables from economic modeling team & meta-research team
- Engage with external thought leaders and representatives to influence the external environment with respect to applications of health economics research, reimbursement strategies, and value assessment frameworks and evaluations (eg, ICER, IVI)
- Maintains awareness of new methods, tools and data sources to ensure study methods represent current state of the science
- Scientific leader in health economics identifying new methodologies and advancements in the field and representing AbbVie at key industry forums
- Raise the bar through standards development & knowledge continuity across TA and crossfunctional stakeholders to drive above-asset standards and innovation
- Coordinate with HEOR LT and GMAP LT to define priority Assets/indications to support
- Evaluate new health economics vendors and/or partnerships
- Resource allocation and budget allocation for the economic modeling and meta-research teams
- Deliver business results and meet aggressive commitments to achieve business goals and objectives
- HEOR Talent Development – Attract and develop top HEOR talent. Provide training, coaching and feedback to HEOR team members to help them reach their potential and achieve top performance.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and development of HEOR function through leadership of functional initiatives and change management. Role model leadership behaviors to promote desired culture.
- Initiate, maintain, and tactfully influence relationships with various medical and non-medical stakeholders.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Advanced degree in Health Economics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biostatistics, Public Health or related discipline (MS, MPH, PharmD, PhD) preferred
- Minimum of 12-15 years is required with relevant pharmaceutical industry experience in the area of Economic Modeling, Meta Research, Health Economics, Health Technology Assessment or related area
- Experience of working with health economic models (including having developed models built from scratch) and conducting meta-analytic research with applications in the pharmaceutical industry to support product value propositions
- Significant experience in handling delivery of services across complex matrix environments and on a global level
- Proven track record in Health Economics or Outcomes Research obtained in either Industry or consultancy.
- Project management skills including the ability to steer and drive the team towards objectives and hold team members accountable as well as highly motivated
- Experience / knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry (knowledge of regulatory/compliance frameworks).
- Expertise in diverse modeling techniques/types (e.g., Budget impact/CE model)
- Ability to leverage deep expertise to design custom solutions for diverse stakeholder group
- Global (US & Int’l) knowledge of HTA and value assessment requirements
- Ability to effectively interpret and communicate health economics research results to internal and external audiences through impactful recommendations
- Ability to work collaboratively to leverage other HEOR CoE capabilities (Meta-Research, RWE & Analytics, PCO)
- Understand needs to differentiate new assets and regional HTA & country HTA requirements
- Develop standards and respond quickly to business questions
- Strong leadership expertise, executive presence & strong communication skills
- Ability to attract, maintain talent & lead high-performing teams
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence in rapidly changing environment
- Travel – Position requires up to 10% travel
Supervisory / Management Responsibilities:
- Direct Reports: 2
- Indirect Reports: 11
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.