Scientific Director / Associate Scientific Director, Translational Immuno-Oncology Research,
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Scientific Director / Associate Scientific Director, Translational Immuno-Oncology Research, Precision Medicine
AbbVie Precision Medicine Oncology is seeking a highly motivated and experienced translational scientist to advance our Immuno-Oncology (IO) pre-clinical and clinical pipeline through translational research. The scientist will work in a fast-paced and a multi-disciplinary team, leading development of strategy, experimental execution, and data analysis for IO translational research. He / she will function as a principal investigator, lead a team of scientists to generate original research, interrogating new hypotheses to advance AbbVie’s assets across stages of the pipeline from Discovery through Development.
- Define and implement translational research strategies for multiple IO therapeutic programs. Interrogate disease/target biology, implement, and interpret data from preclinical and clinical studies to conceive and execute novel scientific research internally or externally to support advancement of AbbVie’s IO pipeline.
- Design hypothesis-driven experimental strategies to identify PD biomarkers, mechanisms of sensitivity / resistance, inform patient selection and test novel drug-combinations to advance the Abbvie IO pipeline.
- Initiate new areas of investigation that are scientifically meaningful, reliable, and can be incorporated directly into a clinical development program.
- Lead a team of highly experienced and accomplished scientists and develop productive collaborations with cross functional teams.
- Build external collaborations that complement internal efforts to advance mechanistic understanding of our therapeutics and inform development opportunities.
- Prepare and present summaries of translational data for governance discussions and to key stakeholders across multiple functional areas, including Drug Discovery, Development, Precision Medicine, and others.
- PhD; MS; BS in Cancer Biology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Immunology or related field with 10+ years (PhD); 16+ years (MS); or 18+ years (BS).
- Proven track record of accomplishments in the IO field.
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills are must.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a team environment.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills as well as excellence and productivity in independent research.
- Must be proactive and able to work effectively on multiple projects in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- M.D. and/or Ph.D. in Cancer Biology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Immunology or related field with at least 10+ years of relevant postdoctoral cancer research experience in academia or pharma industry.
- Background and expertise in Immunology / IO are strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated excellence and productivity in independent research. Demonstrated success as primary or senior author of publications, presentations and/or primary inventor of patents.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a principal investigator, generating original ideas and research or development strategies.
- Demonstrate creative 'out of the box' thinking to solve difficult problems.
Key Leadership Competencies
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence”, and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills are essential as the candidate is expected to interact with diverse groups within AbbVie and external collaborations
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to work within a team environment.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 15 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.