Senior Medical Writer, Global Scientific Publications
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Senior Medical Writer Scientific – Publications and Planning
Responsible for assisting authors in the writing of scientific publications and effective implementation of the publications writing process. Provides medical writing expertise for multiple compounds and/or projects within a therapeutic area. Interfaces with multiple functional groups (eg, PK, Statistics, Health Outcomes, Regulatory, Medical writing) to ensure accurate and timely completion/delivery of publications.
A Senior Medical Writer would be expected to work on publications that require in-depth product and scientific knowledge. Senior Medical writers should have a good working knowledge of biostatistics.
Other activities, special projects, and assignments may be given. As a result, the percentage of time spent across roles for which the employee is responsible for or assisting with will vary depending on project assignments, current development projects, and the requirements within the organization as a whole.
The employee must conduct their work activities in compliance with all relevant regulations, ICH, PhRMA, and CFR guidelines as well as all Allergan policies, and procedures. Allergan policies include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements, and objectives.
Main Areas of Responsibilities:
Writes and edits the content of scientific abstracts, posters, and manuscripts supportive of business and scientific objectives, with direction and/or guidance on medical data interpretation, publication strategy, and statistical data analysis from the PPT and external authors, as appropriate. Adhere to standardized publication processes and SOP requirements for all publishing projects. Coordinate the review, approval, submission, and production of publishing projects.
Act as subject matter expert regarding computer-based technologies utilized by the department. As assigned, maintain publication-tracking of documents, ensuring accurate, appropriate, and timely data entry.
Therapeutic Area and Publishing Knowledge
Learn and continually maintain therapeutic area and product knowledge and apply to publishing projects. Maintain current awareness of good publication practices and editorial policies and apply to publishing projects.
Communicate effectively across functional areas and within the Publishing Group to accomplish project objectives. Present information to appropriate individuals in a concise, clear, and objective manner.
Madison, New Jersey (Gastroenterology)
Irvine, California (Neurology, Eye care, or Facial Aesthetics)
- 3 years of relevant industry experience in medical writing in the healthcare industry or academia required or in a related area such as quality, regulatory, clinical research, or product support/R&D.
- Ability to assimilate and interpret scientific content and translate information for appropriate audience.
- Superior attention to detail. Ability to find and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, consistency, clarity, and accuracy.
- Experience in working with collaborative, cross-functional teams, including project management experience.
- Knowledgeable of US and international regulations, requirements and guidance associated with scientific publications or clinical regulatory document preparation and submissions.
- Working knowledge of current electronic document management systems and information technology.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and effectively in teams.
- Organizes/reorganizes workload in accordance with project priorities and timelines with focus on execution.
- Effectively demonstrate leadership and motivational skills.
- Excellent planning, organization, and communication skills (written and oral).
- Able to write clearly and accurately, have good analytical skills, and detail orientated.
- Expert in word processing, flow diagrams, and spreadsheets. Excellent working knowledge of software programs in Windows environment.
- 3 years of experience in experimental design and clinical/preclinical data interpretation preferred.
- Knowledge of biostatistics preferred.
- American Medical Writing Association (AMWA) certification or other is preferred, with a specialty in Editing/Writing or Pharmaceutical.
- Bachelor of Science with 6-10 years’ industry medical writing experience; or Bachelor's degree in English or communications with relevant science experience with 6-10 years’ industry medical writing experience; or Masters of Science with 3-6 years of industry medical writing experience; or Doctoral degree with 2-4 years of industry medical writing experience.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.