Associate Director, AbbVie Bay Area Flow Cytometry Core
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Since 2013, AbbVie has expanded its commitment to the San Francisco Bay Area, now represented by three facilities in Redwood City, South San Francisco, Sunnyvale and a future new Bay Area headquarters in South San Francisco. AbbVie employees in the Bay Area drive AbbVie’s research-based, innovation driven missions in healthcare. Specifically, Bay Area employees bring deep scientific expertise and commercial excellence to advance cancer care. Current oncology areas of focus include immuno-oncology, tumor targeting, tumor dependency and precision medicine. With facilities positioned in the heart of the biotechnology industry, we are able to collaborate with the best and brightest minds in oncology.
AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated and experienced scientist to lead and manage the Flow Cytometry Core Lab at AbbVie’s new research facility in the Bay Area. This position requires advanced technical expertise and the ability to provide highly complex multi-parameter flow cytometry and multi-dimensional sorting support to Discovery, Translational, and Clinical research in Oncology. The successful candidate must possess extensive and exceptional technical and scientific skills in advanced flow cytometry and related technologies. The individual must have previously demonstrated the ability to successfully manage the various operational aspects of a multi-instrument, high-volume flow cytometry facility. This individual will work closely with multiple principal investigators, pathologists, and clinical research scientists to ensure accurate, relevant, and reproducible data. This candidate must demonstrate knowledge and concepts of QC/QA and assay validation, as well as mastery of high-dimensional analytical software and techniques.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Provide advanced technical skills in the application of flow cytometry/cell sorting technologies to solve research problems and in the development of new technologies to advance Discovery, Translational, and Clinical research in Oncology.
- Design and develop specialized flow cytometry methods and techniques and collaborate with principal investigators and laboratory staff to answer research questions.
- Independently and consistently execute highly complex sorting, as well as design, optimize, and execute high-parameter analysis experiments.
- Provide operation procedures, QC, maintenance, and troubleshooting of instruments and experiments; maintain a sterile cell sorting environment.
- Maintain an advanced level of scientific knowledge and keep up with current developments and trends in the area of flow cytometry.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge of flow cytometry hardware and software and provide training.
- Manage budgets, including long-term capital planning, and allocate resources against portfolio priorities.
- Manage the team members responsible for FACS core operations.
- BS degree in Physics, Biology, Chemistry or related field.
- Requires minimum of 5 years of experience in the daily operation of sophisticated flow cytometry instruments, including a diversity of BD, Beckman Coulter, Sony, and Cytek instruments.
- Must have knowledge and experience of operation/QC/maintenance of high-dimensional FACS and analysis instrumentation with a focus on design of complete staining panels that optimize data collection and reproducibility.
- Experience across multiple scientific arenas including immuno-phenotyping, cytokine expression, phospho-flow, apoptosis, and other relevant applications.
- Experience in handling and processing human samples under BSL2 environment is desired.
- Experience managing a Flow Cytometry Core lab, collaborating across multiple groups, and balancing priorities is highly desired.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.