Director, GMA Global Initiatives & Communications
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The (Senior) Director, Global Initiatives & Communications (GIC) leads a diverse team that collaborates across Global Medical Affairs (GMA) functions to plan and execute initiatives that foster partnership, strengthen culture, facilitate transparent internal communications and contribute to the delivery of strategic goals. This role serves as a key member of the Global Medical Operations (GMO) senior leadership team (SLT) and is accountable for ensuring operational excellence in developing and implementing large scale events, organization-wide initiatives and core organizational communications for the broader GMA organization. This role will provide key strategic communications support to the senior leadership team of the VP and Head of GMA, and in this capacity, will be able to effectively plan and deliver GMA-wide change initiatives.
- Partners with GMA SLT to plan, develop and implement key GMA events (e.g. MD Forum, TA Forum, GMA All Staff Meetings, GMA SLT off-site meetings) that are critical to the ongoing development of GMA Staff and establishing transparent communications. Leads cross-functional efforts to ensure a strong GMA contribution to broader R&D and AbbVie initiatives.
- Develops and implements a clear and integrated GMA communication plan to facilitate timely and transparent communications regarding key initiatives, significant platform changes, organizational changes, and development opportunities. Create and utilize a standardized communication platform to share information with the entire GMA organization. Leverage internal and external innovations to continually enhance GMA communications.
- Leads change management and transformation efforts to enhance organizational effectiveness and adapt to changes that impact GMO. Works closely with cross-functional colleagues to contribute to broader GMA change management initiatives. Develop and strengthen change management capabilities throughout GMA.
- Anticipates potential changes in the competitive environment and proactively develops scenarios for adjustments to strategy development. Develops and maintains business relationships across Abbvie functional areas to implement frameworks that ensure GMO expertise, capabilities and resources are available and leveraged appropriately.
- Oversees GMO Senior Leadership Team dashboards and presentations to ensure consistent updates on overall GMO progress and performance.
- Strengthens team morale across GMA by coordinating broader culture initiatives across functions and facilitating joint opportunities for participation. Serve as the sponsor of the GMO Culture Club to ensure support for the GMO team culture initiatives.
- Maximizes opportunities to highlight best practices and shared learnings across GMA teams and cross-functional partners to reduce duplication of efforts and engage GMA employees. Lead teams to execute GMA all employee staff meetings, events, and leverage engagement teams input to enhance GMA and AbbVie-wide initiatives.
- Serves as a trusted advisor to GMA VP and senior GMA leaders. Identify needs and provide recommendations to GMA SLT to contribute to the achievement of strategy while responding effectively to changing priorities. Recruit, develop and retain diverse talent to the GIC team that implements the GMA plans for key events, initiatives and communications.
- Advanced degree (science, health care, technology/informatics, business management) or greater than or equal to 10 years of pharmaceutical experience, with direct people management and demonstrated leadership success in a pharmaceutical or biotech company. Demonstrated understanding of the complexities and success of working in the global pharmaceutical environment.
- Higher degree or certifications (e.g. MS., MBA, LSS, Masters in Project Management, PMP) preferred
- Strong business acumen; ability to leverage business principles to support GMA and enterprise initiatives
- Proven leadership skills to lead and influence cross-functional matrix teams
- Strong communicator and ability to influence across the enterprise
- Ability to partner and build strong relationships and role model leadership behaviors
- Ability to work with a global mindset to deliver on business priorities and objectives
- Commitment to building and developing team members and deliver effective coaching and feedback
VP and Head Global Medical Affairs, VP Global Medical Operations, members of the Global Medical Affairs Senior Leadership Team, RDLT Communications Lead
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.