Director, Discovery Program Management
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Drive and contribute to complex late-stage Discovery projects and external collaborations, enterprise strategic initiatives and portfolio alignment. Drive and contribute to complex Discovery Project Team strategies and aligned execution. Partner with stakeholders to ensure accurate, up to date project level timelines and reporting. Identify, communicate and manage project risks. Partner with the Project Leader to drive cross-functional team effectiveness. Ensure effective portfolio alignment of a large Therapeutic Area (TA), Functional Area (FA) or multiple TA’s / FA's. Work closely with senior management to define areas of TA / FA and portfolio needs. Take a leading role in managing cross-Discovery strategic initiatives.
- Drive and contribute to Discovery Project Team strategies and aligned execution Serve as a core member of the Project Team and coordinate activities and deliverables Actively contribute to cross-functional discussions both from a Program Management functional perspective, and a cross-functional strategic perspective. In partnership with the Project Lead, lead and coordinate development of the cross-functional strategy. Work closely with Project Leader and Alliance Manager on complex external collaborations.
- Ensure clear translation of project strategy across stakeholders. Drive a coordinated approach across stakeholders to ensure aligned execution of the project strategy.
- Partner with stakeholders to ensure accurate, up to date project level timelines and reporting. Accountable for partnering with stakeholders to ensure that Project Team timelines reflect strategy and current status. Ensure that reports are timely and accurate.
- Identify, communicate and manage project risks Partner with the Project Leader to proactively identify, communicate and manage cross-functional asset risks with an All for One AbbVie mindset. Partners with Project Leader and applies judgment to ensure that the appropriate risks are captured at the Project Team level and transparently communicated and escalated as appropriate.
- Partner with the Project Leader to drive cross-functional Project Team effectiveness. Drive cross-functional alignment within the Project Team and structure Project Team discussions to drive good decision making practices. Support high performing Project Team through monitoring and assessing the team’s performance. Actively share learnings and collaborate with other Program Management leads to apply best practices to supported Project Teams.
- Accountable for helping Project Team navigate the governance process effectively and efficiently and appropriate use of each forum.
- Ensure effective portfolio alignment of a large TA, FA or multiple TA’s / FA's.
- Take a leading role in managing cross-Discovery strategic initiatives.
- 4-6+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry in a variety of roles associated with drug development (research and development, commercial, project management, operations) with a track record of expertise in one or more therapeutic areas.
- Minimum of 3 years in Program Management or similar cross-functional role.
- BS/MS required. MBA, PhD or equivalent preferred.
- Developing strategic thinking and leadership skills.
- Good communication skills both written and oral.
- Growing knowledge of Program Management practices in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Preferred: Experience in managing strategic initiatives.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.