In-vivo Sciences Technician IV
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The In-Vivo Sciences Technician IV, within the Animal Welfare and Governance Department, will provide basic animal care and husbandry, facility support, entry level technical support, and assure the best possible humane care of research animals as outlined by the USDA Laboratory Animal Welfare Act, FDA Good Laboratory Practices for Non-clinical Laboratory Studies, and the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. Care includes general husbandry (cleaning, feed, water, care, etc.) and cleaning of animal rooms, procedure rooms, and designated equipment. Additionally, is responsible for higher skilled procedures as assigned, based on need, experience and skill set capabilities (Edstrom, TOPAZ, Husbandry technology, advanced animal procedures, team leadership, facility, and equipment maintenance).
- Provides appropriate feed and water for assigned animal species. Learns normal and abnormal behaviors for each species. Promptly reports abnormal behavior/conditions to the veterinary staff or management.
- Assures newly received animals are housed in accordance with SOP’s and federal standards.
- Washes/cleans caging and husbandry materials. Accurately and timely documents all work activities as required.
- Provides support to RNTS and Veterinary Services or other Research teams as assigned by the Husbandry Supervisor (study support/veterinary care). Learns and supplies entry level technical assistance for special projects involving all species of laboratory. Conducts and records study observations as required.
- Provides mentorship to Tech III associates and supports the Husbandry Supervisor in management of husbandry assignments and duties for the team.
- Demonstrate proficiency with facility support activities (facility and equipment maintenance), use of management software (TOPAZ, Edstrom), and support of animal census records, ordering and delivery of animals, and environmental monitoring activities.
- Completes all required departmental and corporate training as scheduled
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of laboratory animal care necessary to meet Federal and State requirements.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- Four years of animal care experience is required. Advanced education may substitute for up to two years of direct experience.
- AALAS certification at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level strongly preferred.
- Ability to read and write in English, perform basic math and follow Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Able to work weekends and holidays as assigned.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.