Senior Scientist II, Molecular Modeling
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Oncology organization within AbbVie R&D is continuing to build key scientific expertise in chemistry, structural biology and molecular modeling to partner closely with oncology scientists to develop transformational new medicines in Oncology. We are seeking an outstanding creative drug discovery scientist to join our team to bring his/her expertise to exciting efforts in novel areas of drug discovery.
The Senior Scientist II, Drug Designer, will apply modern computational methods in the design of strategic molecules and libraries to advance various drug discovery projects across the oncology portfolio. This individual will actively make a major impact on multi-disciplinary teams. This individual must exemplify strong interpersonal skills, have excellent communication skills and a track record in the application of computational chemistry techniques to impact and advance drug discovery programs. This individual will be responsible for contributing to both lead identification and optimization programs using methods encompassing all computational aspects of drug discovery including structure-based and ligand-based drug design (e.g., docking and scoring, pharmacophore modeling, virtual screening), molecular dynamics and quantum mechanics. In addition to molecular modeling, this individual will work together with other scientists at AbbVie to provide expertise in structural data analysis, cheminformatics, and methods development. General knowledge of drug discovery is expected to include a fundamental understanding of ADME properties and how to address such issues as metabolic stability and Cyp induction, for example.
For the Research Scientist II level:
- BS, MS, or PHD in Computational Chemistry or related discipline, with typically 12+ (BS), 10+ (MS) or 4+ (PhD) years of experience in the application of molecular modeling to drug discovery.
- Expert knowledge of the state-of-the-art for computational chemistry, and experience with commercial molecular modeling packages and data mining software from such vendors as Schrodinger and Chemical Computing Group is expected including experience in most of the following areas: structure-based/ligand-based drug design, homology modeling, cheminformatics, ligand/receptor docking, molecular dynamics, quantum mechanics, fragment-based design and diversity/similarity analysis.
- Ability to script workflows and implement new algorithms in a high-performance computing environment is preferred.
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams is required.
- Clear communication of the results of computational experiments, interpretation of structural models and rationalization of SAR to team members accelerating the discovery of new drugs is expected.
- Demonstrates excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to take an initial hit and design to improve potency and address metabolic issues.
- Track record of having impacted programs through drug design.
- Key Leadership Competencies.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the ‘essence’ and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.