Sr. Director, Innovation
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Title: Senior Director, Innovation
To enable AbbVie’s emergence as a World Class R&D organization, the Senior Director, Innovation, plays a leadership role partnering with various R&D leaders to optimize the value of our portfolio of current and future assets. Director of Innovation is responsible for building and leading a team that supports R&D leaders across a variety of initiatives including strategic partnership for accelerating clinical development of high priority assets and support for major initiatives focused on new capabilities. Achieving these goals requires a combination of excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, broad strategic thinking, and an ability to synthesize inputs and drive alignment in complex situations.
- Builds and leads a group with Enterprise Innovation that supports RDLT priority initiatives.
- Fosters end-to-end innovation on enterprise-critical assets through collaboration with program-leading Asset Strategy Teams (AST) and the content-focused Deliverable Teams – topics ranging from evidence package, trial design, clinical acceleration, commercial presentation to launch preparation.
- Support strategic initiatives that will address mission-critical questions and position AbbVie for future success
- Serves as a strategic partner to R&D leaders across major transformational initiatives to define objectives, scope, clear deliverables and workstreams
- Lead individual modules within complex, cross-functional initiatives, including driving the problem-solving process and supporting research and analytics, and distilling pragmatic recommendations for management consideration
- Monitor, understand, and prioritize external trends of relevance to the enterprise, and help determine how AbbVie should prepare and/or respond.
- Help communicate our strategy across AbbVie
- As appropriate, facilitates identification, evaluation, and implementation of novel tools and technologies (e.g., biomarkers, drug delivery systems, devices and other platform technologies, compliance tools, data vendors) that can be employed to improve or accelerate pipeline progression in disease areas of interest.
- In collaboration with relevant functions, drives internal and external stakeholder assessments in order to anticipate changes in the external environment (e.g. regulatory trends, changing payer environment), and to understand the patient journey and levers to improve outcomes.
- Bachelors or equivalent degree required. Advanced degree (PharmD, PhD, MD, MBA) highly preferred.
- Minimum Years of Experience – 12+ with Bachelors, 10+ with Masters, 8+ with PhD.
- Research /development, commercial, project management, portfolio management, business development, or related experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry with a track record of expertise in one or more therapeutic areas.
- Recognized team player with proven facilitative leadership skills in a cross-functional global team environment. Proven performance in a matrix environment with ability to influence and align stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interact externally and internally to support business strategy.
- Strong analytical skills. Recognized ability to evaluate complex issues from multiple perspectives to ensure that balanced risk assessments are made.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.