Senior Manager, Policy Communications
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.
Senior Manager of Corporate Affairs Policy Communications
This role will be based in Washington, DC or Europe. Remote position may be considered.Live
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. In this vital role you will report directly to the Director of Corporate Affairs Policy Communications.
Consistent with the vision of Amgen Corporate Affairs to proactively shape, drive and enhance the Amgen brand and reputation, you will be responsible for development and implementation of the communications strategy to help achieve Amgens business and policy objectives.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and execute critical communications plans to help inform and shape stakeholders perceptions on key health policy issues likely to impact Amgen and its business goals
- Provide policy communications support for current and future Amgen-driven public affairs and product portfolio initiatives being conducted in the U.S. and in key international markets
- Develop messaging and media materials (talking points, media statements/releases, fact sheets, Q&As); follow process for review and approval that ensures message consensus from related parties and executive leadership with an emphasis in reaching policy influencers
- Develop and cultivate new and existing relationships with health policy media, trade and advocacy associations
- Handle media inquiries on policy-related issues and for marketed and pipeline products; proactively work to garner press coverage targeted for policy audiences; promote regulatory achievements, scientific/policy/Amgen Foundation presentations and consumer awareness news for policy partners
- Anticipate and prepare company spokespeople and third-party spokespersons (where appropriate) to engage in issues or events; including media training external and internal spokespeople
- Coordinate with Amgen Advocacy/Alliance Development, site communicators and affiliates (as appropriate) to advance policy, product and therapeutic area communications efforts
- Work in partnership with internal communications to ensure awareness of key policy and governmental issues with Amgen staff
- Daily media monitoring and analysis of health policy coverage impacting Amgen and the biopharmaceutical industry
- Manage internal policy communications team collaboration and repository site
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The collaborative professional we seek is an excellent communicator with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Public Relations/Affairs experienceOr
Masters degree and 4 years of Public Relations/Affairs experienceOr
Bachelors degree and 6 years of Public Relations/Affairs experienceOr
Associates degree and 10 years of Public Relations/Affairs experienceOr
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Public Relations/Affairs experiencePreferred Qualifications
- Biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device or related healthcare public relations/affairs experience (in a corporate, PR agency or government environment is preferred, but not required). Regulated industry experience is required
- International/Federal/State/Regulatory agency experience, related executive branch experience, political experience and/or crisis management experience are highly desirable. Candidates must understand how Washington DC and State Capitals work and should have prior experience operating in that universe or comparable experience
- Knowledge and understanding of key marketplace factors and policy issues for pharmaceuticals and biologicals, as well as critical business issues and drivers
- Strong oral and presentation skills; ability to negotiate and persuade
- Strong writing and media relations skills that are results-oriented
- Strategic and creative problem solver with ability to develop measurable policy communications programs which integrate soundly with business objectives
- Strong collaborator; ability to coordinate with different functions and staff in the company and outside vendors to achieve policy and business objectives
- Strong facilitation and group process experience
- Ability to navigate a complex and dynamic environment
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and deal constantly evolving priorities
- Ability to interact with all levels of management, staff and vendors
- Excellent interpersonal skills; hardworking, teammate and self-starter; serious dedication to hard work and excellence
- All US-based Amgen staff are currently working remotely due to COVID restrictions. As travel restrictions are lifted in the future, we would expect this person must be willing to travel 6+ times per year to the companys headquarters in Thousand Oaks, CA and other domestic travel to support conferences/events
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.
careers.amgen.comEqual Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.