Assistant General Counsel, Corporate and Business Development
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Bristol Myers Squibb is looking for an experienced life sciences transactional attorney who can be successful within our fast-paced, adaptive and focused culture. This position will be primarily responsible for providing legal advice, guidance and support for Corporate Development (i.e., mergers and acquisitions) and Business Development (i.e., licensing and collaborations) transactions.
- Lead drafting and negotiations, structuring and counseling on transactions (including mergers and acquisitions, strategic equity investments, strategic divestitures, global licenses, collaborations and partnerships and other transactions). Identify and resolve critical legal issues and identify and help resolve critical business issues arising from transactions. Oversee and manage the legal due diligence process.
- Partner with Corporate Development and Business Development clients to ensure strategic alignment in all transactions, escalating matters as appropriate with the judgment to understand when escalation is necessary.
- Manage business relationships and counsel business clients across a broad sphere of influence, internally and externally, on transaction and strategic issues pertaining to strategic alliance partnerships and collaborations.
- Contribute to the on-going development of a high-performance transactions legal team and cultivate a highly collaborative culture with effective relationships with peers in the legal department as well as other key functions.
- As appropriate, manage and organize antitrust approvals and negotiations with antitrust authorities and regulators.
- Demonstrate a service-oriented approach to advising internal client groups.
- Demonstrate full commitment to Bristol Myers Squibb’s mission and values.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Law degree from recognized university. Qualification to practice law in New Jersey or ability to obtain a NJ in-house counsel limited license.
- Minimum of 9-10 years of legal transactional experience.
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex transaction agreements. Experience in bio-pharmaceutical or life-sciences industry transactions preferred.
- Understanding of bio-pharmaceutical/life-sciences industry.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and can successfully manage internal client expectations and can work/operate well with a variety of personalities/capabilities in cross-functional teams, matrix environment.
- Creative, thoughtful and practical problem-solving skills.
- Must have high integrity, ability to assess risk, ability to make decisions and think strategically while applying knowledge of applicable legal issues.
- Listens to internal client needs and communicates with clients with confidence and diplomacy.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills and business judgment are required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with management and senior management personnel.
- Ability to train and develop the other members of the team.
- Ability to work independently, effectively and efficiently and perform against broad objectives.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or any part of the recruitment process direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.