Scientist (Life Science)
Melonfrost is hiring an experienced scientist with a background in microbiology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or similar field, to head up the life sciences wing of our company. You will be responsible for designing and conducting experiments in our Evolution Reactor™. You will be the first person in the world to use a machine that is unlike anything that has ever been built to conduct experiments that are the first of their kind. You don’t get to write that sentence every day.
More broadly, you will be part of a very small team of people building this company from the ground up, helping guide the future of Melonfrost, and the future of how this revolutionary tech will be used to make the world a better place. We expect you to be agile and adaptable as our company grows and stretches, ready to take on unpredictable challenges and opportunities. One minute you might be mixing Luria Broth, and the next minute planning the company’s ten-year strategy. If none of that scares you off, you should apply.
- Working with the CEO and the engineers to advance and improve our technology
- Designing and conducting experiments on our Evolution Reactor™
- Researching and developing future applications (therapeutics, alternative proteins, biomaterials, biofuels)
- Contribute to the design of future iterations of the Evolution Reactor™
- Managing the lab
Again, this is an early stage start-up that is growing quickly, and we all need to be prepared to wear many hats.
- PhD in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering or similar field
- 2+ years of laboratory experience working with microorganisms
- 1+ years of postdoc experience
- Publications in microbiology, biochemistry, or similar
- Experience running one’s own laboratory
- Experience working directly with yeast
- Experience working with bioreactors
- Experience with spectroscopy
- Experimental evolution
- Grant writing
- Statistics and/or bioinformatics
- Deep understanding of life cycle and biochemistry of yeast and other microbes
- Ability to read papers across a wide variety of biological fields
- Creativity in designing experiments
- Ingenuity in applying scientific theory to practical applications
- Mathematical modeling in biology
- Chemometric modeling
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary and benefits package comparable to similar roles in a seed-stage start-up.