Director, Meta-Research, Health Economics
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Director, Meta-Research, leads and manages a team of researchers and is responsible and accountable for the design and execution of systematic literature reviews and meta-analytic comparative analyses with key cross-functional partners to inform integrated evidence plans and internal asset strategy, as well as HTA and patient access decision-making.
The Director, Meta-Research, will cultivate strong partnerships to enable effective cross-functional collaboration with other internal groups including HEOR-Strategy and Economic Modeling CoE, and the Commercial organization (eg, Market Access and HTA Strategy Teams). This role serves as a leader within HEOR for departmental activities and for other internal AbbVie enterprise-wide initiatives to drive adoption/uptake of standards and best practices for meta-research.
Managerial responsibilities for the Director include attracting, mentoring, and retaining a staff ; managing annual strategic planning for meta-research plans aligned with TA / asset strategy; and managing budget & resources for the meta-research team.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible and accountable for the design and execution of systematic literature reviews and metaresearch (eg, NMA/ITC) aligned with asset strategy to support the entire AbbVie portfolio to meet multiple stakeholder needs
- Leads & manages a productive team to ensure timely execution of meta-research to inform internal strategy, differentiate AbbVie’s portfolio, and meet business and global needs
- Develop pragmatic literature reviews internally to inform portfolio decision making– identify opportunities for automation (pragmatic and quick ITCs as needed)
- Design and execute comparative studies which will be fit for purpose for most HTA countries (including ICER) allowing countries to run scenarios and adapt their HTA strategy as needed
- Design innovative solutions for challenging cases (e.g., non proportional Hazards, sparse network, validation of surrogacy or single arm studies)
- Communicate results, assumptions & limitations in a concise way and informing decisions
- Responsible for coordination with HEOR LT to define priority Assets/indications and oversee allocation of direct and in-direct resources to develop an industry-leading capability
- Serve as internal/external thought leader to identify new methodologies and advancements in metaresearch and applications
- Leads/Participates in cross-functional above brand initiatives and development of standards/best practices for data extraction, standard coding for ITCs, SLRs and meta-research for AbbVie
- Develops and delivers educational resources for functions across AbbVie on data extraction, systematic literature reviews and meta-research
- Recruits, mentors, and trains staff to build productive meta-research team
- Advanced degree in Health Economics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Public Health, Health Services Research or a related discipline (MS, MPH, PharmD, PhD) preferred
- Minimum of 7+ years is required with relevant pharmaceutical industry experience in the area of Meta-research, Health Economics, Health Technology Assessment or related area
- Demonstrated experience with systematic literature reviews and meta-research and integration of research into HTA or reimbursement submissions
- Demonstrated understanding of the reimbursement requirements, including the HTA review process for key international markets and experience with reimbursement submissions to managed care or national authorities
- Experience in handling delivery of services across complex matrix environments and on a global level
- Proven track record in Health Economics or Outcomes Research obtained in either Industry or consultancy
- Project management skills including the ability to steer and drive the team towards objectives and hold team members accountable as well as highly motivated
- Ability to work collaboratively to leverage other HEOR CoE capabilities (Meta-Research, RWE & Analytics, PCO)
- Develop standards and respond quickly to business questions
- Strong leadership expertise & strong communication skills
- Ability to attract, maintain talent & lead high-performing teams
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence in rapidly changing environment
- Travel – Position requires up to 10% travel
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.