Director, International OEC Operations
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The role will report directly to the VP of OEC Operations. Leading OEC Operations for International, the Director will be responsible for building the strategy, management and oversight of AbbVie International OEC Operations Program in line with Global and International strategies, with significant interaction with Senior Commercial Leaders, Legal, International OEC Regional Heads, Business Technology, and other departments. This includes leading the implementation of Global programs across international.
The Director will be responsible for coordinating and overseeing the development and implementation of AbbVie’s International OEC processes and tactical plans to enhance and streamline policy, training and communications, risk assessment and monitoring activities with a view toward global harmonization, automation and effective reporting. This will include, but not be limited to, periodically participating in leadership and/or compliance committee meetings, advising the business on the proper application of compliance policies and compliance controls, assisting the business with their efforts to monitor compliance (including providing feedback on any data analytics),
The Director will collaborate with the other OEC Operations leads functions to ensure that compliance systems and processes are consistent and efficiently implemented across the Global Compliance Organization. The Director will rely on core resources reporting to other OEC Operations leads (i.e Training, Policy, Communications, Analytics and GSSM) to support the efforts of International OEC Operations.
The Director will build and lead a team of International OEC Operations colleagues to support International business and operations.
- Strategy: Provide strategic direction for International OEC Operations function across all compliance program elements in parallel with Global strategy, including training, communications, policies and procedures, monitoring and risk assessment, global strategic systems and analytics.
- Strategy: Co-own the execution of a OEC Operations strategy related to International implementations, including but not limited to, opportunities for process alignment and improvement, streamlining tools/systems and deployment of key Compliance initiatives (e.g., data analytics), collaborate with the OEC Operations Leadership Team to oversee the planning and delivery of a holistic, global view across International and US operational areas.
- Policies: Lead the strategy to deliver a suite of coherent, consistent and standardized policies across International to advance organizational priorities. Collaborate with the OEC Operations Leadership Team providing input from International perspective when developing Global Policies and the program.
- Training: Develop the strategy for customized, targeted, risk-based compliance training program across International and ensure adequacy of compliance trainings and corrective action efforts when necessary. Implement and oversee effective processes for training, communication and roll-out of policies in consultation with OEC International Business leads utilizing core resources reporting to other OEC Operations leads.
- Communications: Develop the strategy for International-specific Compliance communications in consultation with OEC International Business leads and other OEC Operations leads. Supporting the development and deployment of key International communications in coordination with Global Operations plan.
- Monitoring and Analytics: Collaborating with core resources reporting to other OEC Operations leads, design and oversee the strategic monitoring plan and country/region program reviews for evaluating the performance of the Compliance Program and related activities to identify risks and initiate appropriate steps to improve effectiveness and mitigate risks, including implementation of compliance analytics systems and processes in target countries/regions.
- Risk Assessment & Management: Collaborate with the OEC Operations Leadership Team to develop and implement effective compliance risk assessment processes with a global view, including identifying and coordinating in-depth risk reviews with appropriate stakeholders. Based upon the results of the risk assessment, Initiate and develop a robust Compliance Management Program which will result in a risk adjusted impactful program making the most effective use of existing resources. Identify and assess areas of compliance risk and opportunities; ensure that the Compliance Program effectively prevents, detects and/or addresses violations of law, regulations and policies.
- Collaboration: Partner with internal business units to increase awareness of the importance of the global Compliance programs, reporting obligations and maintaining and expanding visibility of the corporate Compliance program at all levels within the Company.
- Collaboration: Partner with senior management to provide continual risk assessment; to provide ongoing advice and supporting resources to senior management for compliance issues, monitoring and process improvement; and to work with management to implement these improvements.
- Reporting: Provide updates and reports on a regular basis to the VP, OEC Operations, senior and executive management, and, as requested, to the Chief Compliance Officer, on the operation and progress of compliance efforts and initiatives, monitoring findings, investigation outcomes, and project status updates.
- Collaboration: Attend key business leadership meetings to build relationships with internal customers and better understand business strategy, planning, etc.
- Reporting: Provide input and support the development of senior and executive management reports and board of director reports.
- People Management: Support development of direct reports by identifying ongoing training, growth and mentoring opportunities.
- Demonstrate knowledge and competency to serve as the subject matter expert.
- Maintains strict ethical, legal adherence and confidentiality at all times.
- Interface with Business (Sales, Marketing, R&D, Medical) Personnel, Support Functions (Legal, HR, Finance, IT) and Senior and Executive Management.
- Manage and oversee multiple complex projects.
- Manage team of direct and indirect reports by carrying out supervisory responsibilities.
- Produce reports, presentations, materials, guidelines, documents and letters.
- Delivery updates to Leadership, as required.
- Oversee and manage budget, documentation, records.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, advanced degree desired
- 10 -12 years of pharmaceutical and life sciences industry compliance experience or equivalent.
- 5+ years of project management experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Decision Making - Responsible for making decisions that impact the effectiveness of compliance initiatives
- Problem Solving - Applies deep knowledge of compliance requirements and regulator expectations, understanding of processes, and familiarity with the Company Code of Conduct, Corporate and Divisional Policies, and company and divisional operational goals to identify and provide solutions to reduce risk and improve business effectiveness.
- Expertise – Has and maintains expertise in the top potential compliance risk areas associated with pharmaceutical, consumer and device industries (i.e. FCPA, Risk Management, Privacy, etc.)
- Complexity and Customer Management – Develops and sustains strong relationships with business leaders as a trusted business partner and advisor.
- Innovation and Creativity - Demonstrates use of expertise in leading compliance and ethics programs to advise senior management on improving programs and/or implementing leading practices.
- Leadership - Demonstrates ability to influence multiple stakeholders and lead cross functional teams across business divisions.
- Excellent oral and written communication, technical and interpersonal skills.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.