Manager, Global Medical Information
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Summary: Work with team of medical information professionals to research and respond to requests for escalated and/or complex scientific/medical information from health care professionals, consumers, and corporate business partners in a manner that is accurate, fair balanced and reflects advanced understanding of relevant issues and scientific rationale. Manage one or more products (including launch products) in a therapeutic area with responsibilities that include researching and evaluating medical literature to maintain knowledge and awareness of product profiles, monitoring of product’s inquiry trends and potential gaps, communicating with internal and/or external business partners, and providing quality assurance review of cases as appropriate. Develop, disseminate, and maintain up-to-date database of verbal and written responses such as standard response letters (SRLs) and short approved responses (SARs) with minimal guidance. Represent the department and provide compliance support for medical information booth activities at key scientific meetings. May act as medical reviewer for any company produced promotional or training materials to ensure medical accuracy and help support marketing initiatives. Lead the onboarding activities of new staff and may also provide assistance with vendor management activities and/or department projects, as required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage all medical information activities related to one or more products, including launch products in a therapeutic area. Research and respond to complex and/or escalated requests for scientific information from health care professionals, consumers, and corporate staff in a manner which reflects understanding of relevant issues and scientific rationale. Serve as a key technical therapeutic area resource for ad hoc requests.
- Analyze and determine appropriate scope of information to be included in all verbal or written response to medical inquiries. Maintain a current database of SRDs for one or more products and responsibilities may include peer review of SRLs and/or development and approval of SRLs and SARs.
- Represent department and provide compliance support for medical information booth activities at key scientific meetings. May represent the department at internal team meetings and provide training on current medical information dissemination policies to other internal team members, including field sales team.
- Lead in the training of new hires and provide assistance with vendor support, as applicable. Update and maintain knowledge and awareness of company’s products, clinical research and current regulations through reading, attending seminars, meetings or formal classes.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Essential Skills and Abilities
- Must be self-motivated, highly organized, detail oriented and able to multitask with delivering high quality work.
- Analyzing problems, identifying alternative solutions, projecting consequences of proposed actions and implementing recommendations that support department goals and objectives.
- Familiarity with pharmaceutical principles, practices and their application, comprehension of medical terminology and treatment modalities and knowledge of pharmacology principles, theory and their application.
- Researching, analyzing and evaluating medical information materials using critical thinking skills and interpreting and applying medical information, instructions, policies and procedures and guidelines pertaining to medical communications and release of medical communications.
- Excellent analytical aptitude and clear, concise communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team as well with external partners and vendors
- Exceptional interpersonal skills for diplomatic interaction with internal colleagues in Medical Affairs, Clinical Research, Sales and Marketing personnel and external customer contacts.
- Mastery of use of computer systems and database and software applications, including Microsoft Office and knowledge of medical information’s inquiry repository, such as Information Request Management System (IRMS) preferred.
Education and Experience
Minimum of B.S. degree with an emphasis in Science, Health Care or related fields from an accredited college or university and/or 3-5 years of pharmaceutical or related experience required. Experience can be appropriate internships or residencies. Advanced degree (PharmD, PhD) with at least five years pharmaceutical or related experience would be preferred. Proficient knowledge of current Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and/or other US regulatory requirements and guidelines and well versed to the Allergan therapeutic areas and research interests desired.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.