Scientist, Cell Culture Development
Medical Science & Computing (MSC), is searching for a Scientist, Cell Culture Development to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC and it is on-site in Gaithersburg, Maryland.Duties & Responsibilities
- Actively participate and lead development projects for clinical vaccine candidates to include development of viral vaccines, recombinant proteins and/or virus-like particles, or monoclonal antibodies.
- Produce research reagents using either transient expression techniques or by expansion of stable cell lines or pools.
- Coordinate with and possibly work under the direction of the Cell Line Development Group to assure the availability of materials and supplies in a timely fashion, and to gather data and understand the process as much as possible.
- Contribute to the Cell Culture Process Development group as a cell culture scientist to include experimental investigations on cell line behavior, optimization of cell culture conditions, tech-transfer of defined cell culture processes to the clinical production facility, improvement of cell culture platforms, troubleshooting of cell culture processes, and capturing process descriptions and results in tech transfer documents and technical reports.
- Designing, proposing, and performing experiments in the area of cell culture process development, capturing and communicating the results in several formats, and working with technology transfer teams to move the developed processes into a clinical production facility.
- Develop and maintain collegial, collaborative relationships with colleagues in the partnering lab research groups and Purification, Analytical, and Manufacturing to ensure that efforts are efficiently translated with other groups.
- Assist in training and management of junior scientists.
- Participate in project and laboratory meetings, staying current with the literature in the field.
- Help assure the laboratory maintains its state of the art status.
- Publishing results and studies in peer reviewed journals is encouraged.
- Ph.D. in Biochemical/Chemical Engineering or related field with 0 - 3 years of experience or a M.S. in Biochemical/Chemical Engineering or related field with 6 – 10 years of experience in cell culture development is required.
- Good oral and written communication skills are required.
- Experience in writing and reviewing Batch Production Records, SOPs, and other process documents is highly beneficial as is mathematical modelling of cell culture processes.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture for both anchorage dependent and suspension cell culture, with larger scale cell culture systems (bioreactors), with routine sampling and analysis of cell culture and bioreactor samples, and with media and cell culture technology development. Additional expertise in molecular biology and design of expression vectors, transfection techniques, and screening of cells expressing recombinant proteins will be useful.
- Familiarity with statistical design packages (JMP, minitab, etc.) is required, as is the use of good laboratory practice and record keeping, the use of analytical tools and the following of protocols to acquire reproducible data, and the presentation of results in group meetings and in technical reports.
- Works well in both individual and team settings, and provides significant leadership to the design and interpretation of experiments and the overall understanding of the process.
- Familiarity with GMP and regulatory compliance.
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program, and membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.