DevOps Programmer Analyst - Inventory
National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is looking for a strong Programmer/Analyst to join our DevOps team, to work on the Enterprise Inventory of software development, products, and operations.
Our proprietary Enterprise Inventory collects metadata and reports on our organization's software development and operations. We are migrating from a large collection of legacy systems to a modern containerized stack, and instituting CI and CD for our software build and deployment processes. We plan to replace our existing Inventory with a system that collects, reports on, and provides API access to software development, build, and operational metrics, using off-the-shelf ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load), data warehousing, and business intelligence tools.
NCBI advances science and public health by providing free access over the web to biomedical literature and genomic data, making it one of the 400 top most-visited sites in the world. NCBI's diverse staff of smart, talented, and deeply technical people collaborate to build critically valuable services for researchers, physicians, educators, students, and the general public. For example, NCBI develops and delivers PubMed, an index of over 29 million biomedical research abstracts, often with links to full-text literature and supporting data. NCBI is located in Bethesda, Maryland, and is part of the U.S. National Library of Medicine, one of the National Institutes of Health.
Duties & Responsibilities
A successful candidate for this position will work in a small team to:
- Develop an enterprise inventory
- Research, select and operate data warehousing, ETL, and business intelligence reporting tools
- Design data warehouse schema and ETL processes to represent legacy software processes
- Build reports to provide views into software development and builds, software maturity, resource consumption, and service level metrics
- Instrument CI and CD pipelines to record build and deployment activity
- Support planning migration from legacy systems to the new containerized platform
- BS in a STEM field (Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics)
- OR equivalent industry experience in Software Development
- Three (3) plus years' of experience
- Experience with data warehousing, ETL, and BI tools
- Experience with at least one commercial cloud platform
- Expertise in at least one programming language; Python, Go, Java, Scala, or C++
- Solid understanding of CI/CD
- Solid Linux skills
- Solid understanding of web development, but no need to be an expert web developer
- Solid understanding of microservice architectures
- Good understanding of modern DevOps practices and technologies
- Customer-focused, team-oriented disposition
- Excellent communication and soft skills to deal with customers, peers and management
- Good judgement, sense of integrity and responsibility
Legacy systems analysis skills
Prior DevOps experience
- Kubernetes, especially OpenShift
- Service Mesh (linkerd, istio/envoy)
- ArgoCD/Argo Rollouts
- Sensu, DataDog, Prometheus
- ELK stack
- Solr or ElasticSearch experience
- Django experience
- C++ build processes (makefiles, linking, library builds, etc.)
- TeamCity, BitBucket Server, Nomad
- HashiCorp products (Consul, Terraform, Vault, packer, Vagrant)
- SQL and NoSQL databases
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.