We are currently searching for a Genomics Specialist to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC, and it is on-site in Bethesda MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Implement, design, develop, and innovate current and emerging computational biology and bioinformatics algorithms to interpret, illustrate scientific data
- Enter into scientific collaborations with physicians and scientists that include the potential for authorships and acknowledgements in publications
- Gather detailed requirements from stakeholders and identify existing tools to perform the novel analyses or develop algorithms/tools to perform analysis
- Apply cancer genomics methodology into the bioinformatic activities of the lab
- Document and manage collaborative and consultant assistance and training provided to researchers
- Provide on-site, on-demand support and troubleshooting to researchers in the use of computational biology software
- Research, design, and deliver training materials to effectively communicate, promote, and advance computational biology techniques and software usage
- Remain abreast on current and emerging computational biology technologies and tools
- Learn, adapt and improve on new analytical methods from published studies.
- Develop analytical and data visualization pipelines for genomic data generated in the lab.
- Communicate efficiently with PIs, trainees and other bioinformatics staff.
- Assist with generation of publishable results – plots, tables and outline of data analysis and assist with training of lab staff in these areas.
- Provide support for and advise on the content of all scientific papers across a range of tumor types, including melanoma, lung and kidney cancers.
- Assist with the mentoring of postdocs and PhD students.
- Ph.D. or MS in bioinformatics, computer Science, computational biology, bioinformatics, genetics, physical, or computational sciences or related field
- Minimum of three (3) to four (4) years of experience working in a genomics-related field.
- Subject matter expertise in epidemiological studies and cancer genomics
- Expertise in genomic analysis, specifically for HiCHIP and chromatin interactions, building both analysis and visualization.
- Working knowledge of bioinformatics in relation to generation and analysis of genomic data – RNA-seq, ChIp-Seq, ATAC-seq, chromatin interaction studies, HiC, HiChiP
- Familiarity with databases – TCGA, GTEx, ENCODE, 1000 Genomes, etc.
- Good data management and record keeping habits/techniques.
- Good understanding of genomics, molecular biology, and technologies such as qPCR and next-generation sequencing
- Experience with a high-performance parallel computing environment (e.g., SGE, PBS)
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, written, and oral communication skills to convey computational biology principles and concepts to non-specialists in a clear and precise manner and advise on relevant software and tools with a dedication to customer satisfaction
- Ability to work independently or as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills, including the ability to learn new software quickly
- Ability to concurrently work on multiple complex projects with effective time management skills, a high level of personal and professional drive and initiative, and attention to detai
- Familiarity with common methods of statistical analysis using R, Python or related software
- Experience with genomic diagnosis of rare diseases and filtering variants using family-based genetic models (e.g., autosomal recessive/dominant, compound heterozygous, etc.), including experience with relevant related tools for finding disease-causing variants (e.g. VAAST/pVAAST, GEMINI)
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.