Formulation Associate Scientist
We are currently searching for a Formulation Associate Scientist to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC, and it is on-site in Gaithersburg, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Independently execute studies for the evaluation and development of stable formulations for the vaccine candidates, including study design, sample management, timeline management, data collection and data presentation.
- Develop and execute assays for the evaluation and development of stable formulations for the vaccine candidates using biophysical and biochemical assays (absorbance and fluorescence spectroscopy; dynamic light scattering; zeta potential analysis; differential scanning calorimetry, osmometry, viscometry, pH, conductivity, Fourier transform infrared and circular dichroism spectroscopies, among others).
- Develop methods for the evaluation of stable vaccine formulations.
- Analyze, interpret and present data in small group, department and conference settings.
- Write and review technical protocols and reports documenting formulation, stability and method development studies.
- Maintain and troubleshoot (problem diagnosis and repair) laboratory instrumentation, including spectrometers, calorimeters, particle characterization and robotics systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry or a related discipline with a minimum of three (3) years, experience in protein or vaccine formulation. A minimum of five (5) years total experience in protein/vaccine formulation and/or analytical chemistry.
- Master’s degree also applicable, in Pharmaceutics, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or a related discipline with a minimum of one (1) year experience in protein or vaccine formulation. Minimum of three (3) years total experience in protein/vaccine formulation or analytical chemistry.
- Experience with biologics (protein and/or DNA) molecules, required.
- Demonstrated experience with the following analytical methods:
- Protein Spectroscopic Analysis (UV-Visible Absorbance)
- Classic protein biochemistry sample handling and analysis (UF/DF, SDS-PAGE):
- Protein Spectroscopic Analysis (Fluorescence spectroscopy, Circular Dichroism spectroscopy)
- Physico-chemical-solution analysis (Osmometry, Viscometry
- Calorimetric analysis (Differential Scanning Calorimetry)
- Particle sizing and characterization (Dynamic Light Scattering, HIAC,MFI)
- Experience working with Formulation development and stability studies.
- Demonstrated experience with one or more of the following analytical techniques or areas, for data interpretation duties:
- Monoclonal antibody biophysical analysis.
- Vaccine adjuvants.
- Size Exclusion HPLC
- Elisa/Octet/BLI bioassays
- DOE study design using JMP
- Familiarity with computer software including word processing and data evaluation is required (Excel, Chemstation, etc.).
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects and with minimal supervision.
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.