Associate Scientist, Downstream Process Development
We are currently searching for a Associate Scientist, Downstream Process to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC, and it is on-site in Gaithersburg, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the Downstream Process Development group of the program.
- Develop downstream (purification) processes, under the supervision of a project lead scientist, for recombinant proteins, virus vaccines, and virus-like particles (VLP) that may be used as clinical vaccine candidates.
- Serve as a functional lead in either chromatography or filtration (Normal flow and tangential flow filtration) purification process steps for a given project.
- Work independently and collaboratively within the purification group to design, develop and optimize chromatography and filtration step unit operations to support process development of clinical trial vaccine candidates and mAb products.
- Purify research-phase recombinant proteins, virus vaccines and/or virus-like particles in support of other program groups.
- Work to prepare necessary materials (buffers, packed columns, etc.) in support of downstream process activities.
- Support technology transfer of processes to Pilot Plant for manufacture of clinical products.
- Write and review technical protocols and reports.
- Analyze and compile data, present at various group/department meetings.
- B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, or related Life Sciences field.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in recombinant protein purification.
- Development and tech transfer for GMP clinical-phase production is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge of maintaining accurate and detailed records.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the following techniques or tools for protein purification and characterization:
- Column chromatography for protein purification by means of AEX, CEX, affinity, SEC, HIC
- Column packing and testing of AKTA chromatography system
- Lab scale TFF systems
- Qualitative assays including SDS-PAGE and Western Blot
- UV/vis spectrophotometer.
- Must be a team player who can effectively work with members from cross-functional departments.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with computer software including word processing and data evaluation.
- Expert knowledge of Excel and/or other database systems/
- Knowledge and use of statistical design of experiments (DoE).
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.