Senior Research Associate
We are currently searching for a Senior Research Associate to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC, and it is on-site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct research within vaccine and monoclonal antibody projects utilizing well-documented quality procedures and practices.
- Primary project will be focused on high-throughput paired sequencing of immune B cell receptors. Secondary, efforts will also include support of the unit efforts in yeast display technologies, analysis of monoclonal antibodies and potentially include development of new methods in sequencing and/or yeast display.
- Perform a wide variety of procedures and techniques which may include but are not limited to: high throughput single-cell and droplet-based PCR, preparation of next-generation sequencing libraries, aseptic tissue cell culture, flow cytometry, bacterial and yeast transformation/culture, cloning, mutagenesis, ELISA assays, neutralization assays, protein purification, CRIPR/Cas9 and other molecular biology techniques.
- Manage all technical aspects of experimental design for conducting assigned projects. Perform tests, assays and procedures appropriate to the project(s), following specific protocols.
- Maintain accurate daily records of experiments and results; maintain laboratory space, equipment and inventory according to established protocols.
- Assist in maintaining laboratory supplies and equipment, management of biological materials, and place orders for supplies.
- Analyze experimental data and interpret results, adapting for application to laboratory problems. Evaluate the validity of laboratory data in relation to the test system and assay procedures. Investigate problems while recommending solutions; devise new methods to accurately measure analyses.
- Recognize unexpected test discrepancies and identifies scientific causes of discrepancies. Analyze and handle problems and deviations in the work assignment in accordance with established protocols, previous training, or accepted laboratory practices following well documented practices and guidelines.
- Prepare graphs and charts, write reports and summaries of findings describing procedures used.
- Assist with revisions to SOPs, laboratory records and other documentation as assigned.
- Update procedural manuals and methods and prepares reports of equipment/instrument usage.
- Present information to laboratory personnel in formal lectures and bench training.
- Master’s degree in Biology, Life Sciences or a related discipline with a minimum of five (5) years of experience working in a laboratory environment. PhD candidates will be considered but it is not a requirement.
- Demonstrated experience in performing biological research and competence in intermediate level mathematical skills including but not limited to script writing in R.
- Demonstrates excellent attention to detail, proactive planning and ability to organize and carry out tasks with quality in a timely fashion.
- Previous experience working under a well-documented, Good Laboratory Practices (GLP), or Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) environment.
- Experiences working with the following is required:
- Tissue Cultures
- Cloning into bacterial, yeast and mammalian expression vectors,
- Bacterial, yeast and mammalian cell transformation including viral vector-based transformation and culture techniques.
- Advanced PCR techniques
- Sample preparation for next-generation sequencing is required.
- Advance flow-cytometry including panel development, compensation adjustments, sorting and data analysis is required.
- Human and animal samples in BSL level 2 environment.
- Experiences working with the following is desired:
- Protein-based immunoassays, running antibody-based assays, developing reagents and assays.
- Protein production and purification.
- Gene editing techniques like CRISPR/Cas9.
- Drop-seq or other microfluidic-based sequencing technology.
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.