Medical Science & Computing (MSC), a Dovel company, is seeking an experienced Data Scientist to support our work at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD (when it is safe). This position is on-site at the National Library of Medicine (part of National Institutes of Health) post-pandemic.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify and develop innovative solutions for complex biomedical informatics challenges related to the use of diverse forms of clinical data (such as electronic health record, imaging, and sensor data) that scale across institutional boundaries and applications
- Translate new research results into operational solutions that can be implemented in healthcare and research environments
- Explore and improve upon emerging solutions in the use of clinical data, including standards for terminology and data communications
- Collaborate with other entities within NIH and DHHS (Department of Health and Human Services) agencies to develop data science solutions to address issues of mutual interest
- Participate in interdisciplinary, cross-divisional collaborations and projects where appropriate
- The work involves working with healthcare data (originating from licensed sources [e.g., healthcare claims] or from clinical trials). This means de-identified data (free of direct identifiers) or research identifiable data. For each type and data source, candidate must be willing to comply with relevant data protection policies and laws to work with the data.
- Expert knowledge of data science (at least 7 years of active experience)
- MS Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Statistics (or related STEM degree)
- Expert knowledge of SQL (including DBMS specific dialect differences) (at least 4 years of active experience)
- Expert knowledge of R or Python (at least 4 years of active experience)
- Willingness to learn new coding languages and new methods
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Team collaboration experience (5+ years) and experience with team best practices (code style guide, code comments, documentation, reproducibility, code repository (revision control))
- Prior experience with healthcare data and healthcare terminologies (ICD, NDC, HCPCS, CPT, SNOMED CT, LOINC, RxNorm)
- Prior published scientific work (ideally as first author)
- Expert knowledge of SAS (or basic knowledge of SAS with willingness to learn to expert level)
- Experience with Machine learning and Artificial Intelligence methods
- PhD degree in related field (computer science, life science, epidemiology, statistics)
- Ability to show code authored by the candidate (and related documentation or other artifacts) for a prior data science project
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.