We are currently searching for a Research Technician to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a temporary, full-time position with MSC, and is on-site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide literature review and organized summaries of dietary intervention and microbiome clinical trials.
- Assist with the writing of an IRB protocol.
- Coordinate multiple steps needed for preparation of an IRB-approved study.
- Provide technical support for research studies in microbiology and microbiome studies.
- Execute experimental studies and assist with planning, design, and modification of experiments.
- Analyze and organize data.
- May make presentations of the data in lab meetings and departmental meetings.
- May contribute to the writing of manuscripts for publication.
- Collect samples from participants in clinical trial.
- Coordinate sample handling and shipment to reference laboratories for supplementary analyses.
- Maintains laboratory equipment.
- Work on development, validation and implementation of high complexity laboratory developed tests.
- Maintain and organize highly detailed records pertaining to the development, validation and implementation of assays related to the microbiology research.
- Culture bacteria or fungi related to experiments.
- Analyze bacterial plasmids and generate new plasmids related to experiments.
- Perform mass spectrometry identification of microorganisms, fluorescent microscopy studies, flow cytometry, and works with model organisms for studies of infection.
- May perform DNA extraction, sequencing library preparation and indexing, and loading of next generation sequencing instruments.
- Perform Sanger sequencing of bacterial, fungal, and mycobacterial isolates.
- Compile Sanger sequencing data and generate interpretive report.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results; correct problem or notify staff; document all corrective actions taken.
- Maintain records of instrument failure, troubleshooting and QC related to research.
- Inventory reagents and supplies.
- Communicate clearly with everyone on research team about experimental plans and collaborative projects.
- Collaborate with other research staff to evaluate new techniques.
- Perform comparative studies with older technology.
- Perform evaluations to determine new methodologies.
- Comply with accrediting and inspections agency requirements.
- Uses basic understanding of theory behind experiments and applies basic analytical skills to implement assigned projects, and to identify and trouble-shoot situations needing special attention.
- Follows established procedures or protocols and utilizes aseptic technique to perform laboratory tests and/or experiments which may include: basic tissue culture, cell separation methods, electrophoretic separations, assays, basic molecular biology, or other specialized histology and biological science techniques. May utilize in vivo models in experiments.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific field plus a minimum of three (3) years of specialized experience in a research laboratory.
- Computer skills to include MS Office Suite.
- Ability to lift 10 – 30 pounds.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination
- Ability to multitask.
- Work requires basic use of scientific methods, procedures and techniques gained through previous training and experience.
- High degree of expertise in molecular and genomic methods
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills.
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.