Senior MySQL Database Administrator
We are looking for a talented Senior MySQL Database Administrator to support the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). This is a full-time position located at the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD. The database administrator provides technical support for multiple MySQL databases on many servers in production, development and test environments.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Install, configure and maintain MySQL and similar servers (like MariaDB, Percona, etc.)
- Monitor availability and performance of production databases and server
- Daily database maintenance, user assistance and troubleshooting
- Analyze and resolve complex technical problems, including performance tuning, and application design and debugging
- Conduct/support OS and hardware maintenance in coordination with system group
- Participate and perform migrations into Development/Production environments
- Monitor database backups and maintain recovery procedures
- Administer and follow MySQL Server and other security standards
- Plan database and server level capacity according to statistics and user requests
- Work through disaster recovery plans with other groups and departments
- Create and configure new accounts, databases and other server objects
- Communicate/work effectively in a team environment.
- B.S. in Computer Science or related discipline
- 5+ year of hands-on database administration experience using MySQL Server or another RDBMS
- Experience in maintaining large databases, supporting OLTP applications, and good knowledge of Replication technologies
- Experience in support of database servers or similar products on Unix/Linux platform
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- MySQL Server certification is a plus
- Hands-on experience in application development using MySQL is a plus
- Systems analysis and design experience is a plus
- Experience in software development with scripting languages (Perl, Python) is a plus
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.