Senior Scientist - Enzymology/Biochemistry/Biophysics
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.Senior Scientist Enzymology/Biochemistry/BiophysicsLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. In this vital role you will be joining the Bioassay & Profiling group within the Discovery Technologies department in our South San Francisco research site. We are seeking someone with expertise in enzymology and biochemical & biophysical assay development. The successful candidate should possess strong technical expertise & laboratory skills, have excellent written and oral communication skills, work productively in a collaborative cross-functional team environment, and keep current with field of expertise, including literature and technology development.Key Responsibilities
- Develop and perform potency, kinetic and mechanistic assays to characterize screening hits and confirm compound-target engagement using sophisticated biochemical and biophysical methods
- Leverage biochemical & biophysical assay techniques to mechanistically differentiate lead molecules and drive SAR toward project goals
- Represent Discovery Technologies department in multi-disciplinary project teams to present research results and provide scientific and technical support
- Collaborate with internal cross-functional teams and external partners to enable project progression
- Provide assay development guidance and supervise the biochemical/biophysical assay delivery within the Bioassay & Profiling group
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The Scientific professional we seek is a proven leader with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications
Doctorate & 5 years of scientific experience OR
Masters degree & 10 years of scientific experience OR
Bachelors degree & 10 years of scientific experiencePreferred Qualifications
- PhD in biophysics, biochemistry or a related discipline
- Experience with supervising 2 or more direct reports
- Drug discovery research experience in diverse target classes such as ion channels, transporters, GPCRs, enzymes or protein-protein interactions
- Expertise in enzyme & ligand binding kinetics, and mechanism-of-action studies
- Highly experienced with biophysical techniques and instruments used to characterize ligand binding such as Microscale Thermophoresis (MST), Differential Scanning Fluorimetry (DSF), Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR), Isothermal Titration Calorimetry (ITC), etc.
- Highly skilled in the development & implementation of robust, automated, 384 or 1536-well plate-based assays using a wide range of detection methods (e.g., spectrophotometry, radiometry, luminescence, fluorescence)
- Experience with microplate readers and automated liquid handling systems (e.g., PerkinElmer Envision & ViewLux, Labcyte Echo, Agilent Bravo, Formulatrix Tempest, etc.)
- Experience with data analysis and visualization software platforms (e.g., Genedata Screener, Tibco Spotfire, GraphPad Prism, etc.)
- Capability to identify, evaluate, implement and become proficient in novel technologies to advance drug discovery projects
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, along with the ability to work in a flexible team-oriented environment
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.
careers.amgen.comEqual Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.Amgen will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.