Senior Automation Engineer, Microscopy Systems
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Microscope Manager - Be the responsible point person for managing and ensuring the operational status of Recursion’s fleet of high-throughput fluorescent microscopy systems.
- Image Throughput Optimization - Work with scientists, associates, and stakeholders to optimize the speed and consistency of our systems, and to ensure data integrity.
- Systems Development - Work with vendors to develop and implement new hardware and imaging protocols based upon Recursion’s pipeline to promote faster throughput on the microscope systems.
The Team You’ll Join
You will join a mission-focused team in the Automation Engineering Department and you will work closely with our high throughput screening platform. This is an incredibly collaborative and dynamic environment. You will partner with a group of accomplished individuals amongst your peer group across various disciplines like Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, and Data Science, etc.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Proven proficiency in microscopy instrumentation and applications, including optical design and building, operation, troubleshooting, service, and system optimization.
- Experiencing in developing in-depth scientific protocols for fluorescent-based microscopy assays.
- Experience with custom software scripts and routines to control microscopy hardware with a particular focus on hardware synchronization.
- Proven experience with creating custom image analysis routines and algorithms.
- Master's degree or higher in a scientific discipline. A background in engineering, cell biology, microscopy, computational biology, or data science.
- Attention to detail and willingness to track down and troubleshoot problems.
- Strong quantitative skills and reasoning.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs**
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.