Senior Project Engineer, Section Manager
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
SENIOR PROJECT ENGINEERING, SECTION MANAGER
Abbvie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA is seeking a senior project engineering section manager to be part of the Project Engineering group. The selected candidate will provide direct supervision and technical leadership to a group of staff engineers, and is responsible for performance management, growth and development of staff. The candidate will also be responsible for the management and execution of capital projects involving the installation and/or renovation of biopharmaceutical process equipment, facilities, and utilities in an FDA/GMP regulated environment.
Responsible for the supervision of project engineering team and management of capital projects involving biologics related equipment, facilities, and utilities, including the following:
- Project Engineer Responsibilities include:
- Independently plans and conducts medium to large size assigned projects requiring conventional types of plans, investigations, and/or equipment. Manages multiple, often concurrent, projects and meets deadlines. Balances multiple demands.
- Providing overall management of capital projects through the entire project life cycle including scope management, scheduling, budgeting and coordinating activities interdepartmentally and with contractors.
- Create comprehensive project plans, budgets, and strategies for assigned projects and translate project plans into measurable actions and execute against local plant procedures and processes.
- Anticipates and addresses progress roadblocks, escalating when appropriate; proactively drives development of contingency and or risk-mitigation plans.
- Project scope development based on customer requirements, cost estimation, request of capital expenditure and preparation of financial defense package, scheduling, resource allocation, vendor and contractor management, and status reporting.
- Conducting design review including specifications, procurement, fabrication management, and installation of equipment, facilities, and utilities related to the manufacture of biologics bulk drug substance including basic unit operations involving fermentation, cell culture and protein purification and related equipment.
- Managing validation activities of equipment, facilities, and utilities to ensure the system is installed as designed, operates within the design parameters, and can perform as designed to produce the intended product or environment.
- Supervisor Responsibilities include:
- Provides strong leadership to the department in the coordination and execution of engineering activities while meeting AbbVie Operations and Quality needs
- Perform all Performance Excellence responsibilities in support of the department / team including setting expectations, feedback & incentives and development.
- Assign projects to team and oversee progress while providing guidance and direction and ensuring adherence to Abbvie specifications and standards.
- BS in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 6+ years of significant engineering and/or operational experience is required.
- A background in biopharmaceutical manufacturing and/or biologics equipment operation/troubleshooting is strongly preferred.
- PMP certification an advantage.
- Possess a strong technical knowledge of GMP manufacturing facilities, equipment, and utilities and application of concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Works on problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data involves multiple competing factors.
- Demonstrates judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Strong oral/written communication skills; ability to listen to and apply feedback from a variety of stakeholders.
- Strong problem identification, analysis, and solution development skills.
- Effective planning, workload management, and organizational skill and the ability to manage multiple projects effectively.
- Teamwork, leadership, and the ability to maintain constructive relationships with personnel from various disciplines at all levels in the organization are desired competencies.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.