Principle Scientist, Signal Processing
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
As a part of AbbVie’s Digital Science Team, you will have the opportunity to shape the future of medicine development with Digital Health solutions. The Digital Science Team is responsible for setting the strategies for Digital Health across the Development Organization and working across all Therapeutic Areas to bring those strategies to life for AbbVie and patients. The Principle Scientist, Signal Processing will lead a team responsible for digital data processing and analytics involving wearable sensors and imaging data and support analytical and clinical validations of digital endpoints in collaboration with internal as well as external partners.
- Lead, manage, coach, and provide technical guidance to signal processing team member(s) on the wearable sensor signal processing, imaging analytics and ensure the proper methodologies and scientific rigor are applied to deliver high-quality results.
- Perform signal processing and algorithm development in support of all therapeutic areas projects. This will include efforts to work with vendors on data transfer plans, define feature extractions, develop detection algorithms, create novel data standards compatible with HL7 or align to industry best practice or external consortia efforts.
- Support Digital Strategy Team, serving as a technical expert on the assessment, selection, study design, validation of sensors and imaging tools making sure that the digital health tools being implemented in clinical trials not only meet the technical requirements but also align with the clinical evidence and overall strategy.
- Support analytical validation studies of digital tools, adhere to PFDD, DDTQ, CTTI guidances as well as other relevant federal and international regulations, including GCP, ICH Guidelines, AbbVie Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and functional quality standards. Stay abreast of new and evolving regulations, guidelines and policies related to digital health and clinical development
- Collaborate with Data Management and Clinical Statistics to define data flow, quality and integrity requirements, and risk mitigation plans such that the downstream signal processing and data analysis can be fully enabled and streamlined to produce desired results.
- Create training, support the creation of SOPs, work instruction, workshops, and educational webinars to help establish a knowledge base of signal processing and algorithm development capabilities within AbbVie.
- Provide SME input on the sections of documentation for regulatory agency meetings and participate in said meetings to address technical questions raised by regulatory agencies. Author sections of CSR, technical reports, and support publications and presentations
- Establish thought leadership in the field of digital medicine, algorithm development and clinical decision support tools validation with peer-review journal publications, presentations at global congresses.
- Graduate training in Physics, Mathematics, Engineering or related field required. MS (with 10+ years of experience) or PhD (with 5+ years of industry experience in tech, life science, healthcare or pharmaceutical.
- Firm understanding of various sensors and imaging tools used in the medical and consumer devices, i.e accelerometer, gyroscope, temperature, pressure touch, proximity, microphone, radiofrequency, 2/3D optical imaging, cameras, and lidar etc.
- Knowledge and experience of time series analysis methodologies such as autocorrelation, cross-correlation, Fourier Transform, Short-Time Fourier Transform, Wavelet Transform, Wavelet Scattering Transform, Hilbert-Huang Transform
- Proficient in programming, signal processing and data analysis using Python, MatLab, C++, JAVA, R, SQL, data structure and algorithm development
- Strong listening and communication skills, proficient in verbal and writing with demonstrated scientific publications and oral presentations to senior or large audiences.
- Methodical, detail-oriented, critical thinker with value-evidence mindset, and problem-solving skills, the ability to manage people and projects as well as collaborate and influence cross-functionally in a highly matrixed environment is desired.
- Trusted team leader with people and navigation skills, experience in building a novel capability of signal processing and digital analytics team would be a plus
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.