Field Applications & Product Support Scientist (M/F)
Opportunity and Challenges
We are in the process of assembling a team of best-in-class, innovative and passionate individuals to join our Technical Support team. We want to leverage talents, skills and expertise to achieve one goal: unlock the power of “DNA-write”. We offer the opportunity of joining a dynamic, international and highly skilled team in a pioneering startup company. Our SYNTAX ™ DNA Synthesis platforms not only have the potential to change the way the world makes and uses synthetic DNA, but also to accelerate the rate of discovery by delivering upon the promise of same-day results.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company and to have a large impact as a product expert supporting a technology that will have a far-reaching impact across biological sciences.
DNA Script is actively searching for an accomplished Field Applications and Product Support Scientist to build and foster positive relationships and support our partners and customers in their use of DNA Script commercial technologies and related applications. The individual will be responsible for managing customer engagement and delivering expert product support to customers and providing quick resolutions to complex technical inquiries including troubleshooting, coordinating customer feedback/interactions, and representing user experiences within the company to aid development of next generation products. Additionally, the person filling this role is responsible for providing feedback for the development of applications using DNA Script products in novel applications.
You will also play a key role to ensure product issues are documented to facilitate the continuous improvement of our products.
Applications Support and Customer Engagement
- Working closely with sales in customer engagement activities by providing on site and/or remote scientific consultation to customers in both pre- and post-sale opportunities; guiding discussions, and performing product demonstrations, applications-focused training, and assay optimizations.
- Interface with the product development and applications teams in the use of DNA Script products in applications to meet customer needs.
- Diagnose and resolve product performance problems fielded directly from customers and staff.
- Develop and provide training for customers and staff on company products and novel application workflows.
- Resolve customer complaints related to biochemistry, assay or experimental design, software, instruments, or user’s technical skill.
- Responsible for relationship management, understanding customer goals, setting appropriate product and performance expectations.
Technical Product Support
- Uses in-depth technical or scientific knowledge and product expertise to resolve product support escalations. May interact directly with customers or provide deep support internally to Field Service Engineers, Remote Engineers, or customer call center personnel.
- Writes and updates product user documentation.
- Collaborate with internal experts by obtaining assistance on challenging cases and sharing product support information.
- Support the delivery of fully integrated solutions, which may include peripherals, communications, operating systems and applications software.
- Provide voice of customer, user-oriented and service-related inputs to ongoing and new product development projects.
- Document product support cases and assist with the development of an internal product support knowledge base for use by customers and the internal support team.
- Update product support documentation including, but not limited to, User Guide and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). Author product information notifications as needed.
- Identify product quality improvements using support data documented during customer and service interactions and communicate to stakeholders.
- Ph.D or Master’s degree preferred within life science, engineering or related fields — e.g. Biomedical Engineering, Molecular Biology, Genomics, NextGen Sequencing, Analytical biochemistry, Biotechnology or similar.
- 5+ years of work experience in a technical product support role, research & development role or similar position.
- Proven experience interacting with researchers at all levels with life science and genomics applications.
- Previous experience in training, oral presentations and technical writing/editing.
Ideal Candidate will have:
- Experience with Molecular Biology, Next Gen Sequencing, PCR, qPCR and related innovative technologies/application, including DNA synthesis experience, or utilization of synthetic oligos in biochemical applications.
- An extensive network and track record interfacing with key opinion leaders within the scientific community.
- Experience or expertise with Laboratory Automation solutions (eg. pipetting robots, electronics and linear actuators) and systems involving reagents, consumables and related system software.
- Detailed technical orientation, with robust analytical and organization skills, problem solving, troubleshooting capabilities and negotiation skills.
- Capability to precisely document issues, root cause analyses, troubleshooting experimentation and resolutions/repairs for complex scientific instrumentation.
- Proven experience working directly with a field service engineering team.
- Experience developing, testing and supporting product applications in the laboratory.
- Proven experience with developing and delivering effective product/technical training.
- Prior experience using customer relationship management tools to document product support interactions with customers.
- Customer advocate, solutions-oriented mindset and business orientation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, presentation skills and technical writing.
- The ideal candidate will be located in the San Francisco Bay Area, however remote candidates within the United States will be considered.
- May require occasional travel to customer sites and corporate offices.
- Start date: Q2 2021.
Phone interview with manager
Day interview at the office with manager, HR, cofounders and the team
Timing: around 2-3 weeks