Field Service Engineer (West Coast)
Opportunity and Challenges
We are looking to assemble a team of best-in-class, innovative and passionate people. We want to gather their talents and skills to achieve one goal: unlock the power of “DNA-write”. We offer the opportunity of joining a dynamic, international and highly skilled team in a pioneering startup. Our Next-Hour DNA Synthesis platforms not only have the potential to change the way the world makes and uses synthetic DNA, but also to accelerate the rate of discovery by delivering upon the promise of same-day results.
DNA Script is actively searching for an accomplished Field Service Engineer to support our partners and customers in their use and application of DNA Script’s commercial product.
The individual will be responsible for leading complex technical inquiries in the field including troubleshooting and repairs, coordinating customer feedback and interactions, and representing user experiences within the company to aid development of next generation products.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company and to have a large impact on developing a technology that will have a far-reaching impact across biological sciences.
The position will be remote based in the San Francisco Bay area and within commuting distance of our South San Francisco, California office.
- Installs and optimizes hardware/software/network products and configurations at customer sites.
- Diagnoses and resolves product performance problems.
- Performs maintenance and repairs.
- Documents all field activity performed and ensures timely escalation of difficult issues for quick resolution.
- Ensures customer satisfaction by advising customers on preventive maintenance and configurations, which may impact product performance.
- Proactively responds to potential equipment issues to prevent unplanned interruption of customers’ business.
- Delivers fully integrated solutions, which may include peripherals, communications, operating systems and applications software.
- Train other field engineers and customers in the company’s system products.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for support within the western United States region ensuring all inquiries and complaints are documented, and customers are kept informed of issue resolution. May occasionally be required to provide support in other geographic areas.
- Provide user-oriented and service-related input to ongoing and new development projects.
- Provides support of instrument operations and participates in product training within our South San Francisco laboratory.
- Represents DNA Script to customers and ensures customer satisfaction and high-quality service and support experiences.
- Ensures customer inquiries, complaints and outcome of service activities are documented in the company’s database.
- Bachelors degree within the science field — e.g. biomedical engineering, analytical biochemistry, biotechnology or similar is highly preferred
- 4+ years of experience in a similar position and/or experience as an end-user of analytical instrumentation
- Associates degree within the engineering field (electronics, mechanical) will be considered with 6+ years experience in a similar position working with qPCR instruments and liquid handling robotic systems.
Ideal Candidate will have
- Experience or expertise with Laboratory Automation solutions (eg. pipetting robots, electronics and linear actuators) and systems involving reagents and consumables
- Experience with troubleshooting and problem solving. Customer service and solutions-oriented, with capability to precisely document issues, root cause analyses, troubleshooting experimentation and resolutions/repairs.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers to ensure understanding of services and troubleshooting performed, as well as ensuring overall customer satisfaction with company products.
- DNA Synthesis Experience, or Utilization of Synthetic Oligos in a biochemical application.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Works well in a collaborative team environment but is also able to work independently.
- Ability to collect technical data and produce high quality and professional presentation materials to communicate data and conclusions internally to stakeholders such as marketing and development teams to transfer knowledge about key field issues.
- Ability to travel extensively including overnight travel as dictated by business needs
- Remote job based on the West Coast of the USA. Requires up to 75% travel to corporate offices and client sites throughout Western region of the US and other parts of North America.
- Start date: Q2 2021