Principal Scientist - Computational Biology
Amgen is a leading global biotechnology company, with a mission to serve patients around the world. The Clinical Biomarkers & Diagnostics (CBD) department at Amgen is looking for an experienced and highly motivated Computational Biologist with expertise in oncology/immunology/inflammation, clinical bioinformatics, biomarker development, assay development, ML algorithms & data science, statistical modeling, handling clinical data sets and a background in biology and computational sciences. This is a high-visibility, hands-on strategic and scientific/technical leadership role preferring experience within matrix environments representing the function and requiring the development of methods to support the entirety of the clinical portfolio at Amgen.
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.
Principal Scientist- Computational BiologyLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. In this vital role you will have the following responsibilities:
- You have a PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science or a related field with expertise and significant experience in drug development, biomarkers and diagnostics
- You are strategic, motivated, hands-on, data and science-driven, independent and accountable, with a track record of productivity
- You are comfortable working in a matrix setting and in delivering data insights with interpretation to teams developing therapeutic molecules
- You have expertise and experience with the analysis and interpretation of data readouts from IHC, microfluidics, genomics, epigenomics and functional genomics platforms within clinical settings
- You have performed and enjoy in-depth hands-on computational/data analysis work associated with the identification and interpretation of biomarkers, genomic variants, the development of diagnostics and exploring associations between biomarkers and clinical outcomes
- You are a professional in Python and/or R and associated data-processing and machine-learning frameworks and aware of good programming practices
- You are an excellent communicator with the ability to distill complex issues and clearly articulate solutions
- You have dynamic social skills, situational awareness and the ability to influence, motivate, lead and work in a multidisciplinary setting
- You have superior work ethics and strong motivation to positively impacting the lives of patients
- Support the development of clinical biomarkers and diagnostics supporting Amgen programs through the assessment of biochemical coverage, patient stratification, indication selection in Amgens early and late clinical development programs and discovery of clinical insights at asset and portfolio levels through the application of knowledge discovery and data mining techniques
- Represent the clinical biomarkers & diagnostics team in Amgen program/portfolio teams as a biomarker analysis lead
- Represent/Lead the clinical biomarkers & diagnostics team in platform initiatives, functional and cross-functional digital/data/infrastructure initiatives
- Serve as a subject matter specialist in the domain of knowledge management and mining in the domain of clinical biomarkers & diagnostics integrated with clinical trial data and real world evidence
- Interface cross-functionally with the early development teams, assay laboratories, in-vitro diagnostics and biomarker representatives
- Interface cross-functionally with biostatistics, digital health, protein sciences and other technical and data science teams across Amgen
- Develop translational informatics analysis infrastructure to enable the analysis of NGS data/Epigenomics assays/single-cell assays from clinical trials
- Develop innovative best-practices for the next generation of clinical bioinformatics, such as the utilization of ctDNA-derived tumor burden as a prognostic biomarker/surrogate end point
- Work with biologists, especially in immuno-oncology, to demonstrate information on our targeted biological pathways along with development of computational algorithms to run and mine internal and external genomics, GWAS, NGS and other high-content databases
- Develop tools for data integration, management, visualization, analysis and presentation and provide leadership and expertise in those domains
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The Ideal professional we seek is go-getter with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications
Doctorate degree and 5 years of scientific/clinical development experience
Masters degree and 8 years of scientific/clinical development experience
Bachelors degree and 10 years of scientific/clinical development experiencePreferred Qualifications
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Biology
- A working knowledge of bioinformatics, applied mathematics and/or statistics to analyze multi-modal, multi-dimensional and large-scale biological data sets such as those from GWAS, next-generation sequencing, RNASeq and proteomics assays
- A working knowledge of platforms and readouts utilized for the assessment of clinical biomarkers including flow cytometry, IHC, NGS, immunoassays, imaging and transcriptional profiling assays
- Ability to translate biological and medical questions into analytical models providing measurable results
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.
careers.amgen.comEqual Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.Amgen will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.