Manager, Environmental Health & Safety
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversee all day-to-day aspects of EH&S operations and support for field, remote, and headquarters-based associates. Provide subject matter expertise for operations and strategic initiatives across the business.
- Propose, plan, and lead cross functional EH&S projects to support key business objective.
- Manage all programs, vendors, and consultants supporting EH&S initiatives. Optimize support structure for service, quality, and cost elements. Propose new programs aligned with the continuous improvement and evolution of the business.
- Collaborate cross functionally with leadership and staff to support operations and initiatives while working to improve institutional knowledge of EH&S subject matter.
- Proactively manage regulatory compliance to all applicable internal and external standards. Identify, advise, and educate on opportunities to implement solutions toward guidelines and industry best practices.
- Conduct all relevant reporting and recording activities in addition to maintaining operational metrics and managing performance toward stated goals. Provide analytical perspective and support of EH&S metrics.
- Conduct incident investigations to identify and implement root cause countermeasures.
- Propose, plan, and lead sustainability initiatives relative to field, remote, and HQ based operations.
- Perform job safety analysis to proactively identify potential hazards and implement countermeasures.
- Develop content and lead safety training for employees, contractors, and visitors. Identify and implement technology solutions for training where possible.
- Lead incident and emergency response in partnership with incident commander. Define responsibilities and lead training of emergency response teams.
- Coordinate and partner with local municipal authorities and resources to achieve common goals and objectives.
- Develop standards, conduct training, and lead emergency drills for corporate office. Create new and revise existing training content where appropriate to meet evolving hazards and scenarios identified.
- Conduct internal safety and compliance audits. Develop new audit criteria aligned with policies and standards.
- Audit and revise existing policies, procedures, standards, and training documents to align with regulations and industry best practices.
- Display a strong work ethic, trust, integrity, and accountability.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health and Safety or similar field.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience in EHS role.
- Ability to foster an environment that supports reporting of all health and safety concerns and a collaborative approach toward resolution.
- Ability to analyze risk and gain stakeholder support of risk reduction actions through education, use of objective data and other methods.
- Experience managing and supporting projects focused on environmental health and safety.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, and problem-solving skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional customer service focus and perspective. Must be well organized, flexible, and responsive with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio, etc.
This position primarily works in an office environment. It requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and frequent walking. Daily use of a computer, phone, office equipment and other computing and digital devices is required. May be required to stand for extended periods when facilitating meetings or walking in the facilities. Some local travel may be necessary, so the ability to travel by plane, operate a motor vehicle and maintain a valid Driver’s license and/or effectively navigate public transportation is required. While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee must be able to read and respond to interoffice communications as well as effectively participate in meetings. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to lift up to 20 lbs., pull, push, carry, handle or feel. The employee is required to carry, handle items, reach with arms and hands, to stoop, kneel, or crouch; talk or hear. Mental demands may require prolonged concentration, reading comprehension, understanding and interpretation of concepts, ideas and philosophies. The physical demands of the position described herein are essential functions of the job and employees must be able to successfully perform these tasks for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made for those individuals with real or perceived disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job described unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving carts, mechanical equipment (copiers, computers, coffee machines) and vehicles. May be subject to smells and odors. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The passage of employees through the work area is average and normal.
As an equal opportunity employer, Avanir Pharmaceuticals is committed to providing all applicants and employees with equal access to employment opportunities, regardless of sex, race, age, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, pregnancy, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation transgender status, gender identity, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. All Avanir Pharmaceuticals employees, officers, principles, agents, and representatives are expressly prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. Consistent with federal, state, and local requirements, Avanir Pharmaceuticals will reasonably accommodate any qualified individual with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to perform the essential functions or the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
Avanir Pharmaceuticals shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR-60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of protected veteran status or disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.