Senior Data Analyst
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
We are looking for a Data Analyst with experience in the use of financial data. The data analyst will be in a key position for financial analytics at the departmental level with output intended for both department use as well as in the support of executive reporting. This analyst will ensure any financial analytics/reporting provided is of the highest quality and veracity.
- This role is responsible for ensuring data quality, data rationalization and correct interpretation for complex finance reporting.
- This includes understanding/explaining/interpreting in detail the data elements, data quality issues, data accuracy, data limitations, dependencies on other systems and any differences in time lags between systems/sources.
- This role will be the departmental go-to resources for ad hoc and periodic reporting as well as executing multiple analytics projects based upon departmental needs.
- This role will be expected to become the local expert in the department source systems with respect to the data, processes, and procedures affecting the data.
- This role will be expected to assimilate new source systems into analytics and reporting.
- Be able to execute projects using a variety of tools depending upon requirements.
- Develop analytical models using statistical analysis and time-series modeling techniques to provide financial insights to key stakeholders both inside and outside the department.
- Provide clear explanations for insights and reporting to a non-finance audience.
- Be able to drill-down on provided analytics to the lowest level of detail with finance and non-finance audiences.
- Generate reports using appropriate tools and communicate these effectively via written, oral, and visual dashboard methods.
- Collaborate with system owners and other stakeholders on department needs for data improvement, data access and reporting needs.
- Close attention to detail.
- Able to take high-level direction and work independently.
- Comfortable in a highly quantitative environment.
- Fast/continuous/motivated learner who can assimilate new technology/techniques to meet changing business requirements.
- Basic knowledge of statistical methods.
- Experience with rationalizing data from multiple systems in a principled, transparent, and repeatable way.
- Experience with ensuring the necessary controls, quality checks and validation procedures are including in the analytics process for both ad hoc and periodic reporting.
- Experience with enhancing the data collection process by consolidating data, standardizing, optimizing, and performing exploratory data analysis.
- Experience with performing explanatory analysis such as the identification of key drivers of trends, financial metrics and providing visual and written evidence in support of the findings.
- Experience using visualization techniques for presenting and storytelling with data to a non-finance audience.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Bachelor’s with 5 years of experience or master’s degree with 2 years in an analytics/reporting role.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment.
Additional Desired Experience
- Experience in a Finance department is highly desirable.
- Experience with common financial systems such as SAP is highly desirable.
- Intermediate knowledge of accounting and finance principles.
- Experience performing analytics and reporting for a global organization is highly desirable.
- Experience in Pharmaceutical or other highly regulated industry.
- Experience with statistical languages and packages such as R for complex analysis and visualization.
- Experience with interactive visualization tools such as PowerBI, Tableau, Qlik.
- Experience working with multiple data source types such as data extracts and relational databases.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.