Research Associate Molecular Biologist
About the position: GreenLight Biosciences is seeking an exceptional, highly motivated and collaborative Research Associate to apply cutting-edge RNA technology for development of Crop Protection products. In this role, the scientist will be integrally involved in the discovery and development of novel biopesticides by designing and conducting molecular analyses to determine and validate modes of action for our products. The ideal candidate should have molecular biology skills applicable to RNA interference, gene expression and next generation sequencing (NGS). Strong technical, organizational, and communication skills, as well as the ability to maintain a commitment to excellence and high-quality work in a fast-paced milestone driven company, are essential.
About the company: GreenLight Biosciences solves big problems facing society in agriculture, human health, and animal health through scientific innovation. GreenLight Biosciences is dedicated to bringing our cell-free RNA production process to market. Our work will lead to more sustainable global development, and we promise to deliver our safe solution without compromising the Earth and its people. One of the small coterie of early RNA-focused biotech startups, GreenLight Biosciences was founded in 2009, raised its most recent round this year and has a broad portfolio addressing key issues in plant health and human health. The GreenLight team is over 150 people across our headquarters in Medford, MA, an R&D facility in Woburn, MA and an R&D facility in Research Triangle Park, NC. Construction is underway on a pilot scale biomanufacturing plant in Rochester, NY. Initiatives include finding ways to support biodiversity, protect bees and other pollinators, treat rare diseases such as Sickle Cell Disease as well as develop vaccines for seasonal flu and the current COVID-19 pandemic. We value diversity, inclusion, and equality and promises to use collaboration to remain scientifically imaginative and passionately focused on making a difference in the world.
- Develop molecular assays and provide data packages to ensure deliverables address timelines.
- Analyze, interpret, and troubleshoot experimental results and design experiments to optimize molecular assays.
- Perform feasibility studies in developing new/novel assays that utilize various techniques in plant pathology, entomology, microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genomics, and chemistry.
- Design and conduct molecular assays to determine the uptake of dsRNA, processing and systemic translocation of siRNA signals and target gene silencing.
- Extract DNA, RNA and protein from a variety of organisms and ensure sample quality.
- Determine the fate of dsRNA in vivo using PCR, Northern Blot and NGS sequencing.
- Analyze gene expression by semi-quantitative RT-PCR and qRT-PCR.
- Analyze protein abundance by Western Blot, Mass spec, or/and ELISA.
- Collect and analyze data using standard statistical methods.
- Work collaboratively with our R&D team members to accomplish project goals and milestones.
- Use creative problem-solving skills to innovate and troubleshoot technical challenges.
- Proactively create and maintain a safe working environment.
- BS/MS/PhD in Molecular Biology or related disciplines with at least 2 years of diversified experience in the areas of RNAi research.
- Hands-on experience extracting and handling RNA, NGS library construction.
- Experience performing, optimizing, and troubleshooting state-of-the-art molecular biology techniques is required.
- Molecular biology experience applicable to gene expression analysis by qRT-PCR.
- A demonstrated record of accomplishment of delivering on goals, achieving a high standard of scientific ethics and work, effective communication skills and a commitment to team success.
- Experience in the following areas provides a distinct advantage:
- Knowledge of plant – insect/fungus interactions
- RNA interference
- Small RNA library construction
- Northern Blotting
- Microscopy including epifluorescence and confocal microscopy
Greenlight Biosciences Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.