Sr. Research Associate Synthetic Biology
About the position: GreenLight Biosciences is seeking an exceptional and highly motivated microbial strain engineer to help advance the company’s RNA platform, geared towards plant and human health applications . The successful candidate will be an integral part of R&D team, working on building and screening plasmid constructs and developing strains for use in the company’s proprietary bioproduction platform. Demonstrated proficiency in molecular and synthetic biology techniques and experience with automated workflows for the high-throughput production and screening of plasmid and strain constructs is required. Strong technical, organizational, and communication skills, as well as the ability to work well in a team setting, are essential.
About the company: GreenLight Biosciences solves big problems facing society in agriculture, human health, and animal health through scientific innovation. GreenLight Biosciences is dedicated to bringing our cell-free RNA production process to market. Our work will lead to more sustainable global development, and we promise to deliver our safe solution without compromising the Earth and its people. One of the small coterie of early RNA-focused biotech startups, GreenLight Biosciences was founded in 2009, raised its most recent round this year and has a broad portfolio addressing key issues in plant health and human health. The GreenLight team is over 150 people across our headquarters in Medford, MA, an R&D facility in Woburn, MA and an R&D facility in Research Triangle Park, NC. Construction is underway on a pilot scale biomanufacturing plant in Rochester, NY. Initiatives include finding ways to support biodiversity, protect bees and other pollinators, treat rare diseases such as Sickle Cell Disease as well as develop vaccines for seasonal flu and the current COVID-19 pandemic. We value diversity, inclusion, and equality and promises to use collaboration to remain scientifically imaginative and passionately focused on making a difference in the world.
- Construct plasmids employing synthetic biology techniques (Gibson assembly, Golden Gate cloning, modular assembly of DNA, PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis, and sequencing analysis)
- Create plasmid libraries through the combinatorial assembly of modular parts followed by high-throughput transformation of competent cells using liquid handlers
- Screen transformant libraries for the desired plasmid construct using laboratory automation
- Use good sterile technique to make microbial cell banks and carry out small-scale fermentation experiments to evaluate strain growth and production metrics
- Collaborate with other GreenLight team members to facilitate the successful achievement of project goals and milestones in a timely manner
- Work independently and as part of a team on multidisciplinary projects
- Maintain diligent and organized records about experimental protocols, procedures, and results
- Participate in general laboratory activities, such as inventory, equipment maintenance, and laboratory clean-up
- Clearly communicate results and recommendations to colleagues, managers, and senior management, to assist in project decision-making
- B.S. or M.S. in chemical engineering, bioengineering, molecular biology, biochemistry, or related field
- 1-3 years of experience in the biotechnology or biopharmaceutical industries is desired
- Experience in working with Escherichia coli using aseptic technique for culturing, transforming, making chromosomal modifications etc. is required
- Familiarity with microorganisms other than E. coli would be a plus
- Proficiency in routine molecular biology techniques (e.g. PCR, DNA cloning, restriction digestion, microbial transformation, agarose gel electrophoresis, plasmid purification, using plate readers etc.) is required
- Prior experience with use of automation equipment (liquid handlers, colony pickers etc.) is also required
- Experience translating bench-scale experiments to high throughput workflows using automation is highly desired
- Proficiency in using Excel, Powerpoint and one or more sequence analysis & design softwares (e.g. Vector NTI, Geneious, SnapGene etc.) is required. Experience working with electronic lab notebooks is desired
- The successful candidate must be highly motivated with exceptional communication, leadership, and teamwork skills and must have high standards for one’s own work. Multitasking is essential.
- Flexibility to work in shifts / over weekends to meet current social distancing norms in the workspace will be needed
Greenlight Biosciences Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.