GreenLight Biosciences is a venture-backed company that has developed a proprietary scalable process for the low-cost production of RNA. GreenLight is focused on developing RNA-based agricultural and human health products in an economical, sustainable and environmentally friendly manner. These products have the potential to radically change the current status quo in both market areas. We are rapidly expanding our R&D team and are seeking an exceptional, highly-motivated Research Associate to play a key role in supporting the production of our next RNA-based products. This individual will work closely with the Process Development, Sample Generation, and Formulations teams at the Company, performing a range of bioanalytical assays to quantify and characterize the RNA products and their intermediates. Responsibilities include bioanalytical method optimization, qualification, and execution. Strong technical, organizational, and communication skills, along with a commitment to excellence and high-quality work are required.
About the company: GreenLight Biosciences solves big problems facing society in agriculture, human health, and animal health through scientific innovation. GreenLight Biosciences is dedicated to bringing our cell-free RNA production process to market. Our work will lead to more sustainable global development, and we promise to deliver our safe solution without compromising the Earth and its people. One of the small coterie of early RNA-focused biotech startups, GreenLight Biosciences was founded in 2009, raised its most recent round this year and has a broad portfolio addressing key issues in plant health and human health. The GreenLight team is over 150 people across our headquarters in Medford, MA, an R&D facility in Woburn, MA and an R&D facility in Research Triangle Park, NC. Construction is underway on a pilot scale biomanufacturing plant in Rochester, NY. Initiatives include finding ways to support biodiversity, protect bees and other pollinators, treat rare diseases such as Sickle Cell Disease as well as develop vaccines for seasonal flu and the current COVID-19 pandemic. We value diversity, inclusion, and equality and promises to use collaboration to remain scientifically imaginative and passionately focused on making a difference in the world.
- Perform bioanalytical assays such as qRT-PCR and hybridization-based approaches for RNA quantification
- Develop, validate, and execute robust enzyme activity assays to quantify biocatalyst performance in Greenlight’s proprietary cell-free matrix
- Support Fermentation Development, Process Development, and Enzyme Engineering work streams by characterizing the activity of a variety of proteins under a diverse range of process/reaction conditions
- Standardize and automate enzyme activity assays for increased testing throughput
- Perform established assay to quantify plasmid DNA, proteins, bacterial endotoxin, and total microbial counts
- Analyze, summarize, and present experimental results to manager and other team members
- Work collaboratively with other R&D team members to accomplish project goals and milestones
- Stay up to date with scientific and technical development within the field of analytical chemistry
- Be accountable for accuracy of data analysis and timely processing of samples
- Detail-oriented tracking and documenting of experimental results and instrument performance in electronic laboratory notebooks and company databases
- B.S. or M.S. in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, or equivalent
- 2+ years pharmaceutical industry experience working in an analytical chemistry or quality control laboratory
- Experience with bioanalytical assay protocols: µBCA, HCP Elisa, QuanIt, Ribogreen, Gell electrophoresis, qPCR is required
- Strong background in biochemistry, with knowledge of nucleic acid chemistry and properties, microbial metabolism is preferred
- Experience with sterile technique and standard microbial QC assays is a plus
- Familiarity with diverse analytical techniques for metabolite detection/quantification
- The successful candidate must have high quality standards for one’s own work, strong communication skills, and a commitment to team success
Greenlight Biosciences Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.