Scientist I/II – Analytical Sciences
About the position: The Scientist will work within the Analytical Sciences and Formulation Discovery teams to support mRNA Formulation R&D by developing and executing methods to characterize novel mRNA formulations. The position will be primarily located at our Woburn, MA facility where the formulation discovery team is based.
As a key team member, the Scientist will adapt and troubleshoot existing analytical methods for characterization of mRNA drug products as they are applied to novel formulations. They will additionally be responsible for developing analytical methods as necessary to evaluate novel formulations in development and assess their critical quality attributes. The Scientist will also be expected to supervise a Research Associate and oversee the execution of various standard analytical assays.
About the company: GreenLight Biosciences solves big problems facing society in agriculture, human health, and animal health through scientific innovation. GreenLight Biosciences is dedicated to bringing our cell-free RNA production process to market. Our work will lead to more sustainable global development, and we promise to deliver our safe solution without compromising the Earth and its people. One of the small coterie of early RNA-focused biotech startups, GreenLight Biosciences was founded in 2009, raised its most recent round this year and has a broad portfolio addressing key issues in plant health and human health. The GreenLight team is over 150 people across our headquarters in Medford, MA, an R&D facility in Woburn, MA and an R&D facility in Research Triangle Park, NC. Construction is underway on a pilot scale biomanufacturing plant in Rochester, NY. Initiatives include finding ways to support biodiversity, protect bees and other pollinators, treat rare diseases such as Sickle Cell Disease as well as develop vaccines for seasonal flu and the current COVID-19 pandemic. We value diversity, inclusion, and equality and promises to use collaboration to remain scientifically imaginative and passionately focused on making a difference in the world.
- Develop and execute analytical methods as required to provide information pertaining to formulation quality, potency, and stability
- Troubleshoot analytical methods as necessary, especially when adapting established methods to novel formulations
- Oversee analytical testing of mRNA formulations using established methods, ensuring quality data and quick turnaround time
- Collaborate with other R&D team members to transfer analytical methods
- Stay up to date with scientific and technical development within the field of analytical chemistry and nucleic acid therapeutics
- Be accountable for accuracy of data analysis and timely processing of samples
- Detail-oriented tracking and documenting of experimental results and instrument performance in electronic laboratory notebooks and company databases
- Ph.D. in Chemistry or related discipline
- 1+ years industry experience working in an analytical chemistry laboratory, preferably at an industrial biotechnology or biopharmaceutical company
- Strong background in chemistry with knowledge of state of the art nucleic acid formulations a plus
- Experience in physical chemistry techniques such as NMR, SAXS, DSC, DLS, etc. required
- Experience with HPLC and analytical method development required
- Experience with evaporating light scattering detectors (ELSD), charged aerosol detectors (CAD), and mass spectrometry a plus
Greenlight Biosciences Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.