Associate Scientist II/Scientist I, Protein Purification
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Global Protein Sciences (GPS) is seeking a highly motivated scientist to join the Protein Purification Group at the AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA. As a member of the group, the candidate will be responsible for the purification of antigen (native, recombinant, or stabilized forms) and tool therapeutic reagents to advance the Discovery Biologics pipeline. The successful candidate will have experience in protein purification and analysis, excellent communication skills, and a collaborative mindset to effectively work with cross-functional groups.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Design and modify purification protocols to meet reagent requirements and deliverables
- Read and apply relevant scientific literature to improve protocols and understand project context
- Work with AKTA FPLC systems and Unicorn software to enable efficient processes
- Effectively communicate research progress through oral presentations and written documentation
- Keep accurate, detailed, and timely records of laboratory work
- BS & 3- 5+ years or MS & 0 - 2+ years of relevant experience
- Experience in purification of proteins from E. coli, insect, and human cell culture systems using Affinity, Size Exclusion, Ion Exchange and other chromatographic methods
- Experience with AKTA FPLC systems and Unicorn software
- Experience with protein analysis like SDS-PAGE, western blot, and analytical SEC
- Strong laboratory skills, effective documentation skills and the ability to clearly analyze and report results to colleagues
- Experience in purification of membrane proteins or virus-like particles is desired
- Experience in molecular cloning and expression construct design considered a plus
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.