Senior Scientist I
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health, and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Transformational and Translational Immunology Discovery (formerly Foundational Immunology) is committed to advancing drug development through the deeper understanding of disease pathobiology. The Senior Scientist will be responsible for developing translational research strategies to support the advancement of multiple therapeutics for the treatment of immune-mediated diseases including, Dermatology and Fibrotic Disease. The successful candidate will be part of a multi-disciplinary team that will include building collaborations across functional areas with key internal and external partners and representing program related work to senior management audiences. The successful candidate will have a strong background in immunology and autoimmunity and a demonstrated ability to design, execute, troubleshot, and interpret experiments independently. Excellent written and verbal communication is required, in addition to experience in translational research, cell culture, and analytical techniques including molecular biology, flow cytometry, ELISA, cell-based assays.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Conceive and implement novel experimental approaches to answer scientific questions. Contribute to project science in DERM and Fibrosis areas.
- Develop productive collaborations and communications across different groups within the organization. Work effectively with a team in a matrix system.
- Autonomous, high level of productivity in the lab requiring minimal direction.
- Direct mentorship and may supervise team members. Accountable for effective performance of individuals.
- Contribute to the development of biomarker and translational research strategies for projects emerging from the Discovery pipeline.
- Effectively communicate in writing and orally the biomarker strategy to varied audiences.
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve project hurdles by utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific forums.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, controlled drugs, and radioactive compounds.
- MS or PhD with typically 5+ (MS), or 0+ (PhD) years of experience.
- Experience with human tissue assays is highly desired.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary biologics groups in a fast paced discovery team setting.
- Participate and effectively communicate with team members throughout the organization.
- Demonstrated expertise in translational research.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally and written.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the immediate team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experiments to drive the science in the field of interest
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.