Vice President, Neuroscience and Preclinical Research
Encoded Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company focused on unlocking new opportunities for viral gene therapy through genomics-driven discovery. We focus on delivering life-changing advances for individuals with genetic CNS disorders not addressable with current approaches. For more information, please visit www.Encoded.com.
Encoded is seeking a Vice President of Neuroscience and Preclinical Research to provide strategic scientific leadership in early-stage discovery and development programs. This position reports to the Chief Scientific Officer. The successful candidate will be an exceptional visionary and thought leader that can expand our technology platform into new and existing neurological indications. As a senior scientific leader, this position will serve to drive innovation and scientific excellence, make meaningful contributions to the progression of the R&D pipeline, and develop our growing ~30-person preclinical research organization. The Vice President pipeline strategy, gene therapy will leverage their significant CNS drug discovery expertise to ensure that Encoded’s preclinical portfolio is robust and industry leading. Demonstrated expertise in novel therapeutic modalities and rare disease is highly desirable.
- Lead a highly-functioning ~30-person preclinical research organization responsible for conceiving and developing new therapeutic concepts.
- Set priorities that are aligned with the strategic direction of the company.
- Drive a high-performance and nimble culture which emphasizes Encoded values, upholds the highest scientific standards, and encourages open scientific dialogue and innovation.
- Draw on strong leadership and organizational skills to hire, develop, and retain key scientific and managerial talents and ensure adequate program, discipline, and role-specific training and mentorship is provided.
- Ensure the research strategy for each drug discovery project is aligned with Encoded corporate goals, scientifically-rigorous, and effectively executed to meet demanding timelines.
- Combine broad knowledge of overall pipeline strategy, gene therapy, and market opportunities and risks to distinguish the relevance of information inputs and facilitate decision-making.
- Effectively and transparently manage multiple, at times conflicting priorities, and proactively seek creative yet viable solutions to resolve such conflicts.
- Ensure that the activities of the department are in compliance with record management, resource management, vendor management best practices, and a culture of continued process improvement.
- Leverage knowledge and experience from multiple sources to marry emerging science with unmet medical need and identify novel and high impact CNS therapeutic strategies.
- Identify, evaluate, and implement new technologies to drive innovation in pipeline programs and maintain an industry-leading department.
- Maintain a command of relevant scientific literature and evaluate implications for internal projects.
- Foster and maintain strong collaborative working relationships with Encoded leadership to develop creative yet viable solutions to issues as they arise, guide execution of deliverables, and influence decisions.
- Work closely with Encoded’s Translational, Regulatory, CMC, and Clinical teams to develop integrated preclinical development strategies that are aligned with global regulatory expectations and requirements.
- Ensure transparency of progress against department and team goals, by modeling best practice for risk and issue identification, communication, and mitigation/management.
- Proactively engage in the development of publication and IP strategies for pipeline programs.
- Provide guidance on potential business development opportunities. Participate in due diligence activities as needed.
- Represent preclinical research as a subject matter expert and thought leader. Develop and maintain relationships with external research collaborators and advisors.
- Lead filing content for relevant sections of regulatory submissions (including Pre-IND, IND, CTA, and BLA).
- Appropriately balance the internal infrastructure and capabilities vs. outsourcing, while ensuring systems are in place to safeguard a GLP or GLP-like environment.
- PhD, or equivalent with 15+ years industry experience beyond postdoctoral work.
- Scientific leader in a neuroscience biomedical research as demonstrated by external recognition and reputation (e.g. publications, editorial appointments and podium presentations at top level scientific meetings).
- Proven ability to lead and drive a high-impact CNS drug discovery research group dedicated to the rigorous pursuit of innovative mechanisms that maximize competitive differentiation and rapidly feed into clinical concepts and plans.
- A broad understanding of drug development as evidenced by a track record of significant contributions to INDs, regulatory agency interactions, and/or industry collaborations.
- Must inspire, embody, and model Encoded Therapeutics core values. Compelling leadership style which inspires a high degree of engagement while driving conversations to root cause/question and getting to the next steps effectively.
- Working knowledge of viral vector technologies and gene therapy drug development principles.
- Track record of driving successful collaborations with internal and external partners, including, academic, pharmaceutical, and CRO groups.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills. Ability to present complex data in an understandable manner across diverse, cross functional teams.
- Comprehensive benefits package, including competitive employer premium contributions
- Meaningful stock option grants
- PTO, sick time and holiday pay
- Generous Parental Leave program
- Pre-tax medical and dependent care programs
- STD, LTD, Life and AD&D
- Professional development opportunities
- Team-building events
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Purple Tie dry cleaning service
- Fitness center
Encoded is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Encoded is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Encoded are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion or belief, color, national origin, gender, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location in which we operate. Encoded will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Encoded encourages applicants of all ages.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 650-491-0272.