Senior Manager, Privacy
Senior Manager, Privacy
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Position: Senior Manager - Privacy
Specific Responsibilities and Skills
The Privacy, Cybersecurity, and Information Governance group serves as the legal arm of the organization's global privacy program, including but not limited to, daily operations of the program, implementation, maintenance of policies and procedures, monitoring program compliance, and training.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Help coordinate and evolve Gilead's global privacy program.
- Manage projects related to ongoing compliance with privacy and data protection laws.
- Learn and understand business strategies and priorities and their implications on privacy and data use, technology architecture and standards, and data governance.
- Collaborate with applicable IT and business teams to create and maintain data inventory and documentation.
- Analyze data and document requirements for the development and/or enhancement of privacy program technology solutions, including data mapping and appropriate privacy controls.
- Assist with the development and maintain inventory of privacy program materials and provide updates to assist with awareness regarding the mitigation of evolving privacy risks and changes in regulatory environment.
- Conduct privacy reviews for new and existing products and business processes and work with relevant teams to identify privacy impact mitigation strategies.
- Support process for receiving, documenting, investigating and reporting unauthorized access or disclosure of protected information.
- Assist in the intake, tracking, and resolution of internal and external privacy and data access requests.
- B.A. or B.S. degree in technology or legal related field.
- 2-4 years of related experience in a privacy or information security field.
- Experience prioritizing and managing multiple projects with varying deadlines.
- Proven track record of project and process development, implementation and project management.
- Knowledge of or strong interest in legal privacy principles and information security frameworks (e.g., GDPR, US state laws, ISO 27000 series, Privacy Shield).
- Ability to understand and adapt to emerging technologies and complex processes.
- Privacy or Security certification (e.g., CIPP, CIPM, CIPT, or CISSP) a plus.
- Project Management Certification (e.g., PMI), a plus.
- IT Management or Systems experience a plus.
- Excellent analytical, as well as verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and know when to seek guidance or elevate.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the desire to take ownership of issues and follow through until resolution.
- Complete tasks with accuracy and meet deadlines and objectives.
- Eagerness and ability to dive into technical details to understand privacy implications and requirements.
- Experience working in complex organizational context, often without formal authority in a highly matrixed environment.
- Must be able to work in a team environment and support a global program across multiple time zones.
- Some travel may be required.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.