Join Gladstone to Support Science Overcoming Disease
We are recruiting a highly skilled and experienced Executive Administrator to Dr. Katerina Akassoglou at the Gladstone Institute of Neurological Disease, which enables and supports groundbreaking biomedical research.
This role functions with a high degree of autonomy in planning meetings, managing Dr. Akassoglou’s worldwide and domestic travel needs, creating itineraries and managing her calendar and contacts. The EA formulates strategies to improve travel and work efficiency, and ensures that directives issued by Dr. Akassoglou are carried out to her specifications. The role develops systems of communication as the primary liaison between Dr. Akassoglou and scientists in the institute, at UCSF, across UC, and with other collaborators, and oversees special projects such as overseeing annual review meetings and symposia with government agencies and industry collaborators, requiring a high level of independence and initiative. This position requires the highest degree of confidentiality and discretion and is charged with handling and relaying sensitive information and findings.
The Successful Candidate will be:
- Professional with a keen focus on the mission at hand
- An effective communicator both verbally and in writing
- Flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- An organized and resourceful multitasker with strong creative thinking skills
- Highly proficient in carrying out both simple and complex administrative tasks
- Detail-oriented and able to consistently avoid mistakes and oversights
- Able to problem-solve and analyze issues without precedent
- Perform a broad range of administrative tasks (manage complex calendar, arrange domestic and international travel, proofread and edit documents, etc.)
- Discretely handle sensitive and confidential information
- Function as an external liaison with universities, research institutes and government agencies across the world
- Compose correspondence, recommendation letters, and other documents in a timely and professional manner
- Prepare and update Dr. Akassoglou’s CV and bio-sketch
- Organize recurring meetings for the lab
- Liaise with Human Resources to assist with personnel recruiting and onboarding
- Organize speaker visits and reimbursements
- Work with accounting to manage travel expenses and other miscellaneous lab expenses
- Schedule candidate and guest speaker visits
- Prepare spreadsheets and enhance PowerPoint presentations
- Process reimbursement requests and supporting documents
- Update lab web sitePerform other duties as assigned
A proofreading test and Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint tests will be given.
- 5+ years of experience performing relevant administrative activities, including two years of executive support experience, preferably in a fast paced research or academic environment
- Ability to quickly learn new tools and technologies
- Strong sense of urgency and exemplary levels of accuracy, efficiency, flexibility, initiative and resourcefulness
- Ability to effectively multi-task in a fast-paced environment while maintaining attention to detail and avoiding mistakes
- Ability to adapt to changes in priorities, assignments and other factors that may impact plans and anticipated timelines
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of people
- Knowledge of administrative operational activities such as events planning, and basic fundraising processes
- Interpersonal communication skills to include verbal and written, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising and counseling skills
- Strong skills in short term planning, analysis and problem-solving and customer service
- Exceptional organizational skills with highest attention to detail
- Strong analytical/problem-solving skills
- Serves as an excellent role model of productive behavior –quickly incorporates new knowledge to build productivity
- Previous experience in an academic, medical or healthcare environment
- Experience in maintaining and updating websites
- Previous experience with the following programs: Microsoft Office, EndNote, Illustrator
- Good background and literacy in science
This is not a remote position.
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Be a part of big ideas and consider Gladstone. Your difference will make a difference in human health.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.