As Director, Informatics, you will serve in a highly visible role leading a team of cheminformatics and bioinformatics professionals to architect, implement and maintain information and computing systems to support GBT research and development. You will work with your peers in IT, Research and Development to identify unmet needs, implement solutions and support GBT's drug discovery and development, improving data management and accessibility, streamlining processes and improving efficiency. Together with Research Leadership, set short-term and long-term goals that align with company's mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and champion Research Informatics strategy and effectively translate the strategy into opportunities and solutions.
- Build and lead a highly effective team of experienced bioinformatic and cheminformatic scientists and software professionals to address the data and information needs of GBT researchers from genomic discovery, target identification, to drug design and non-clinical development
- Work with key stakeholders to design and develop tools to enable or improve chemical, biological and pharmacological data capture, search, visualization, analysis and sharing processes
- Work with IT to acquire information and computing resources, including software tools, high performance computing resources and network bandwidth
- Maintain and enhance existing informatics systems and tools, and develop new applications to meet key user needs
- Provide user training and support to improve user experience and gain performance efficiency
- Identify and manage software licenses and subscription to commercial data and information resources
- Work with Research Leadership to develop and implement strategies to meet the growing informatics needs of GBT drug discovery research, ensuring stability, compatibility, scalability, budget control, and license compliance
- PhD in Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science or a related field, with minimum 10 years of relevant working experience
- Minimum 7 years' experience in Research and Development Informatics and 5 years building and leading multidisciplinary teams of fulltime employees, consultants and contractors
- Minimum 5 years' experience with budget planning and software vendor management
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience with IT and computing infrastructure, including high performance computing architecture, cloud services, network and communication protocols, multi-tier systems and web application architecture
- Extensive experience with Linux system administration and Oracle database administration
- Experience in managing agile software development through full development life cycle
- Expertise in bioinformatics and computational biology: hands-on experience with NGS data analysis, popular biocomputing algorithms and tools, computing pipelines, public and commercial ‘omic data resources, and high-performance computing systems
- Expertise in cheminformatics: proficiency in SAR, experience analyzing and managing SAR data, experience with structural chemistry tools and database implementation, experience mining data from public and commercial chemistry data/information resources, experience supporting small molecule design and development
- Solid knowledge of various computing algorithms, programming skills with Python/Perl/Shell and experience developing computational pipelines
- Hands-on experience in selecting and implementing ELN and LIMS in pharmaceutical or biotech industry
- Strong knowledge and working experience in statistical analysis and machine learning algorithms
- Extensive industry experience supporting drug discovery and development
- Strategic thinker with strong team management and multidisciplinary leadership skills
Fit with GBT culture:
- Ability to build strong relationships with co-workers of various backgrounds and expertise
- Ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading the group or acting as an individual contributor
- Values-based leadership consistent with GBT's Core Values
- Excitement about the vision and mission of GBT
NOTE: This position summary is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Global Blood Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.