Scientist, Biochemistry and Cell Biology
SCIENTIST, BIOCHEMISTRY AND CELL BIOLOGY
We are looking for a Scientist/Associate Scientist with expertise in biochemistry, assay development, and cell biology. This position will support our drug discovery effort, by generating key research tools and executing biochemical and cell-based assays to support identification and optimization of drug-like molecules across our pipeline programs.
The successful candidate will join a multi-disciplinary team focused on elucidating the in-vitro properties of proteins involved in human hemoglobinopathies. He or she will play a key strategic role in identifying and applying techniques and methods to profile and characterize small-molecule agents supporting early research and drug discovery programs. Major responsibilities will include independent, hands-on experimental work to support ongoing drug discovery efforts. Additionally, the candidate will be a key contributor to our build out of in-house functional genomics capabilities. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, detail-oriented, working autonomously with a variety of techniques, and comfortable presenting results to cross-functional teams.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Independently plan, execute, and analyze experiments
- Perform in vitro studies to drive early drug discovery projects
- Execute cell-based and biochemical screening assays to evaluate drug candidates
- Develop and optimize novel assays to suit research needs
- PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology or a related field with 0-2 years of related experience. Would also consider a candidate with a BS or MS, along with 8+ years of laboratory experience, for an Associate Scientist
- Deep experience in developing, executing, and troubleshooting cell-based and in vitro biochemical assays is required
- Technical expertise in protein purification, including experience with AKTA chromatography instrumentation
- Expertise in flow cytometry, fluorescence microscopy and/or enzyme-linked assays is highly desirable
- Experience in mammalian cell culture techniques, including adherent and suspension cells, as well transient transfection for protein production
- Experience or interest in CRISPR/Cas9 genome-wide screening and genome editing for target identification and validation
- Work with lab automation is a plus
- Ability to work independently as well as contribute actively to an integrated team
- Demonstrated ability to deliver solutions by systematic troubleshooting, creative/critical thinking, high degree of accuracy and attention to details
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (oral, written, presentation)
Fit with GBT culture:
- Ability to build strong relationships with co-workers of various backgrounds and expertise
- Ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading the group or acting as an individual contributor
- Values-based leadership consistent with GBT's Core Values
- Excitement about the vision and mission of GBT
NOTE: This position summary is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Global Blood Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.