Senior Director Chemical Technology
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
You’re an organic chemist with experience leading teams to build next-generation tools for automated chemical synthesis and analysis. You are motivated by Recursion’s mission to decode biology and enable chemistry to radically improve lives and industrialize the drug discovery process. In this role you will:
- Lead the design, development, optimization, validation and integration of complex automation systems for high-throughput chemistry applications on parallel synthesis
- Build a team of synthetic chemists and engineers operating at the cutting edge of chemical technology
- Collaborate with chemists, data scientists, and engineers as you develop world-class solutions for the industrialization of drug discovery
- Multiply the efforts of our medicinal chemists and lab technicians through technology that leads to scaled chemistry
- Apply your developed technologies to active drug programs in order accelerate their path to meeting the needs of patients
In particular, we expect you will play a lead role in building out Recursion’s Closed Loop Automated Synthesis Platform (CLASP), through building a team to synthesize hundreds and thousands of molecules for incorporation into Recursion’s maps of biology and chemistry.
The Experience You’ll Need
- PhD in organic chemistry with significant experience in method development and experience building and leading teams.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in designing, building and integrating complex automation configurations for high-throughput applications in pharmaceutical, biotech or related industries is preferred.
- Practical knowledge of the application of parallel synthesis techniques to synthetic or medicinal chemistry is required.
- Knowledge of solid phase chemistry principles and/or solid support bound catalysts/reagent used in solution phase chemistry is preferred but not mandatory.
- Experience with operating and programming liquid handling robotics platforms is required.
- The ability to operate, maintain and troubleshoot minor issues with high throughput synthesis systems is required.
- Experience with high throughput synthesis systems (e.g., workstations from ChemSpeed, UnChained Labs, Zinnser, etc.) is preferred.
- Experience with modern cheminformatics tools, computational tools, enumeration tools and other scientific software for drug discovery is preferred.
- Experience with the multiple facets of a startup including recruiting, planning technical strategy, and building out new teams and facilities.
- Have experience conducting experiments in micro-plate formats for the purposes of high-content screening.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs**
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
More About Us
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science, and engineering, with the goal of radically improving the lives of patients and industrializing drug discovery. Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.