Fermentation Process Development Scientist
Arranta Bio is a rapidly growing and dynamic bio-pharmaceutical contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO). Our vision is to be the best in class CDMO providing development and GMP manufacturing services to microbiome innovators within the pharmaceutical industry. Therapies focused on the human microbiome are exhibiting incredible potential towards revolutionizing disease etiology and associated medical treatments. Arranta Bio’s mission is to build a world class organization which provides microbiome bio-pharmaceutical innovators with a single source of supply from early process development through clinical and commercial GMP finished product.
WHO ARE WE
Arranta hires people who are committed and passionate to the goal of bringing life enhancing products to patients. We want top talent who will render ideas and a relentless desire towards accomplishing our mission; when a job becomes a passion, it makes you feel ALIVE.
Here at Arranta Bio, we embrace ALIVE – our core values that we live and breathe daily! We are Agile, Leading, Innovating, Value Creating, and Engaging.
We embrace our challenges as opportunities.
We are empowered to think and act.
We never settle; we strive to improve through purposeful creativity.
We build aligned teams who learn, grow, and deliver.
We are committed to building strong relationships.
Are you ready to come ALIVE with a daring and intrepid team? Don’t wait another minute; Apply today!
We are currently seeking an experienced, and highly motivated Fermentation Process Development Scientist to play a key role on our team. This position will lead the design and execution of experiments related to fermentation scale-up, harvest and freeze-drying, and analytical testing of anaerobic microbes as live biotherapeutics. Prior experience with the fermentation of anaerobic microbes is required. Extensive knowledge in microbial fermentation and freeze-drying processes is highly desirable.
- Supporting the Bioreactor & Fermentation Development team in the set-up, operation, and associated analysis of microbial bioreactor processes
- General operations such as bioreactor building/sterilization, cleanup and turnover of bioreactors to maintain a set run schedule
- Design and development of scalable fermentation processes for a variety of anaerobic microbes
- Contributing to implement appropriate release specifications for the components of the drug substance as well as the final drug product
- Lead experimental design, execution, and data analysis, presentation and documentation using various tools such as laboratory notebooks and technical reports
- Authoring of development reports
- Perform troubleshooting activities, as needed
- Lead platform development activities for process optimization by evaluating and implementing new technologies aimed towards continuous improvement efforts
- Communicate clearly, work independently, collaborate heavily, think critically
Experience and Skills
EDUCATION AND/ OR EXPERIENCE
- Ph.D. in microbiology, chemical engineering, or related discipline with 0– 3 years of relevant experience or M.S. and 8+ years of relevant experience, or B.S. and 10+ years of relevant experience
- Exposure to 3L to 20L bioreactor operations and/or cultivation in associated platforms such as agar plates, spinner/shake flasks, or T-flasks
- General laboratory skills, aseptic technique, experience with pipettes, and experience with automation
- Extensive experience with bioprocess development of anaerobic microbes is highly desired
- Expertise with fermentation, lyophilization and/or spray-drying technologies as well as analytical techniques is preferred
- Knowledge of DOE, statistical data analysis, and QBD in process development
- Keen attention to detail and excellent documentation and technical writing skills
- Strong professional, interpersonal, and communication skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- In the performance of the duties of this job the employee is not required to travel
- The employee will be required to communicate using telephone and e-mail.
- Phone reimbursement policy for qualified individuals
- Free parking
- Highly competitive healthcare with many plan options:
- Medical (HMO/PPO/EPO)
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- Up to 10 weeks of 100% paid maternity leave
- 2 weeks of 100% paid paternity, domestic partner, & adoption leave
- Educational assistance program
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 100% match on first 5% deferred.
- A suite of Arranta Bio paid insurance coverage, including life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- Employee Referral program
- Competitive PTO plan, in addition to 10 company paid holidays (includes 2 floating holidays)