Associate Director, Global Scientific Publications
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Associate Director, Global Publications will oversee development of strategic publication plans and analyses for multiple therapeutic areas or indications. Ensures globalization of publication plans under their purview resulting in global publication plans. Represents the publications perspective on post-approval teams (PATs) providing therapeutic area (TA) and publications knowledge to guide the team’s decisions regarding scientific communications. Interfaces with Medical Affairs and Clinical leadership of assigned TAs to ensure successful integration of publications. Identifies and implements improvements in standards processes to improve efficiencies. Develops and reports metrics to stakeholders with the goal of improving communication and reach of publications. Regularly interfaces with internal stakeholders to determine needs and ensure successful implementation of yearly initiatives.
The employee must conduct their work activities in compliance with all AbbVie/Allergan internal requirements and with all applicable regulatory requirements. AbbVie/Allergan internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements and objectives.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee publication strategy development and lead strategic analysis, including providing recommendations regarding publication strategy and effectively integrating strategic concepts from all stakeholders. Ensure strategic objectives are achieved within design of tactical plan. Serve as the functional lead of the publications subteam of the PAT and represent the subteam in PAT meetings as appropriate. Communicate effectively across functional areas and to senior-level management, ensuring that all presentations are tailored to the audience.
Desired Experience and Knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate a team without reporting relationship authority
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage a strong and stable network within the internal organization
- Previous responsibility for managing key vendor relationships
- Demonstrated ability to identify novel strategic initiatives that improve communications
- Scientific communication
- Prior ownership for developing and executing scientific strategic plans and tactics focused on various audiences
- Experience in developing scientific communication strategies and tactics, including the launch of new products and lifecycle management activities for specific audiences (investigators, payers, thought leaders, trade associations, etc.)
- Business Generalist
- Experience in executing and in overseeing highly complex programs and projects
- Strategic planning experience required
- Experience working in a highly matrixed organization
- Working knowledge of the Allergan contracting process
Education and Experience
- Ph.D in a scientific discipline and 6 years publications experience OR
MS in a scientific discipline and 9 years publications experience
Essential Skills and Abilities
Customer Focus: Makes customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; develops and sustains productive relationship
Establishing Strategic Direction: Establishes and commits to a long-range course of action after analyzing information and assumptions; takes into consideration resources, constraints, and organizational values.
Driving Execution: Translates strategy into operational reality. Breakes down strategic priorities or business initiatives into key tasks and identifies accountabilities. Aligns communication, people, culture, processes, resources and systems to ensure effective implementation and delivery of required results.
Building Partnerships: Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
Building Trust: Interacts with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization
Information Monitoring: Sets up ongoing procedures to collect and review information needed to manage an organization or ongoing activities within it.
Demonstrated technical abilities and skills in the use and management of the Datavision and other software applications, i.e., Microsoft Outlook, Office, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
Ability to exercise good business judgment.
Strong platform style, ability to make group presentations at regional and national meetings as required.
Available for limited travel.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.