Senior Scientist I/II, Chemical Biologist
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
We seek a multidisciplinary scientist to join the Discovery Platform and Technologies (DPT) department with a specific focus on advancing target identification and pharmacological engagement. The successful candidate will be adept in using chemical biology combined with biochemical and mass spectrometry analysis technologies for addressing drug discovery program needs within the Chemical Biology and Emerging Therapeutics team. The successful candidate will also identify and develop novel methodologies and technologies to support AbbVie’s drug discovery pipeline while interacting with a broad range of therapeutic area scientists to deliver key data that accelerates the delivery of novel medicines to patients in need.
Primary Job Function
- Conceive and execute chemical biology research and development that achieves project and area goals.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Design and apply functional chemical probes that address specific needs of the project team/research unit therapeutic.
- Demonstrate and quantify target engagement for small molecule programs across Neuroscience, Immunology, Oncology and allied Therapeutic areas in-cell and relevant tissues.
- Develop novel target engagement methodologies that can be translated from in vitro to in vivo settings.
- Collaborate with allied areas to elucidate biological targets of active molecules from phenotypic screens.
- Develop affinity/activity-based proteomics to furnish quantitative occupancy biomarkers, binding site information, off-target understanding and post-translational modification assessments.
- Build effective partnerships with allied functions (Molecular Probes, Protein Sciences, Molecular Screening and Characterization, Integrated Science and Technology, Genomics Sciences Disease Area Biology teams).
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
Position Accountability / Scope
- Familiarity with a broad spectrum of chemical biology approaches for target identification/mechanism of action studies
- An ability to work independently and effectively in a matrix environment, coupled with a “whatever it takes” approach to move projects forward.
- Effective written/oral communication skills and a proven track record of problem-solving and publication.
- An ability to rigorously analyze large datasets and strong organizational/record keeping skills.
- Strong focus on building scientific expertise via lab-based activities.
- Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement.
- Publish/present project-related research in high-impact factor peer-reviewed journals.
- Keep accurate and current records of research and/or project related activities according to AbbVie policies.
Position will be hired based on education/ experience.
- PhD in Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry or Chemical Biology
- 0-4+ years of Post doctorate/pharma experience in chemical biology; 3-4+ years of experience preferred
- Strong track record of delivering biological insights through chemical biology experimentation.
- Highly skilled laboratory experimentalist with experience in working with biological systems (cells/cell lysates/ex vivo tissues etc.)
- Experience of working in the following areas would be desirable: click chemistry; site-selective protein modification; photoaffinity cross-linking; affinity enrichment; cellular imaging; on and off target identification.
- Working knowledge in activity-based probes and application of activity-based protein profiling
- Experience in designing and using proteomic and other ‘omic mass spectrometry experiments is desired.
- Ability to collaborate with scientists in multiple disciplines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Quantitative analytical skills
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.